Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Little Thanks to James Taylor

On Sundays, our house is filled with a different kind of music than other days—MoTab, Hilary Weeks, my fave—Amy Grant’s “Breath of Heaven” (a Christmas song that I just can’t get enough of. On the link, is a church produced video about the birth of Christ. It’s left an indelible mark on me). This last Sunday, soon after waking, I found myself faced with a song that although not our usual worshipful tune, had me thinking deeply about my life at this point.

I woke at 5:45 and realized that I had too much to do to fall back asleep. Having just returned from an all day trip to Seattle with the 8th grade band late the night before, I was surprised to find myself so awake at such an early hour and faced some very swollen eyes in the mirror. Ugh! I got myself ready, and when Teagen woke at 6:30, got him out of his crib and headed downstairs so everyone else would remain asleep.

After going downstairs, hugging Teagen as he has me grasped tightly around the neck (one of the truest pleasures of life), I realized that someone's alarm clock was going off, a fact to which it's owner was oblivious--a common Hess trait. As the radio played, these words struck my heart, "Show them the way you feel. Things are gonna be much better if you only will.” These were the most important words I could have heard.

I spent the entire morning contemplating this message. "Shower the people you love with love. Show them the way you feel. Things are gonna be much better if you only will." The word "will" to me means it's a choice.

My life is blessed with people I love more than I could ever say. I know that very few of them know how much they mean to me. I wish I were better at showering them with love and letting them know how I feel.

It seems that every so often, a day will go by, and I feel like I didn't even really look at my children not to mention showing them how much I love them. Even though I felt the importance of this message on Sunday, here it is Tuesday, and I feel like this has been one of those days; kids are in bed, and I've missed some important chances to express my love for them.

Thank goodness that tomorrow is a new day and that repentance is available. This is such a busy time of year. Zan's work life is nuts, the kids have a million fun activites as the school year ends, and I'm rushing around trying to make it to the next volunteering opportunity and getting the house ready for the kids to be in it all day everyday.

So, here's my little reminder for myself for tomorrow... "Things are gonna be much better if you only will."

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Good advice for all of us! My life is so crazy these days that I don't pause often enough to get the important stuff in.

Tonya said...

You are one amazing chica Julie! Thanks to James Taylor for invoking those thoughts, so you could pass on the message. I know I need those types of reminders often, so Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...