Friday, February 4, 2011

Beaten About the Head and Shoulders

Darn my lollipop head that sits on top of my sucker stick neck!

I had a migraine for five days straight last week.  I know that if I take Excedrin migraine at the very first sign, I'll be okay and it will resolve, but last week was crazy.  I finally contacted a dear friend who is a masseuse.  She came and worked on me for a very long time on Saturday night.  What a SWEETHEART!

Sunday morning, I felt so much better and continued to feel better until yesterday afternoon.

I actually started getting signs--the weird shifty eyeballs--at the grocery store at about 6:30am.  Yes, I was shopping at that time.  I drop Inmate #1 to her zero period class at the high school (she's taking weight lifting) and then if I know we're out of lunch making items, I stop at the grocery store on the way home and pick up a few things.  Such was the case yesterday when I was standing staring at the various cheese selections when my eyes started going funky on me.

Interestingly enough, nothing developed from that.  The day went along fine until 3:00pm when I was getting an afterschool snack for the kids and just standing in the kitchen.

The eyes started in again, and they were BAD!  I knew I was in for a doozy.  I took a pill and went upstairs to lay down.  Inmate #2 had a basketball game at 4:15.  I look forward to his games all day long and haven't missed one yet.  I didn't want this to be my first.

When the time came, I took off for the game.  My eyes were still a bit shifty, but I wasn't going far.  As the game went on, I had a number of interesting things happen.  My eyes usually only do the shifty thing before the pain sets in.  Yesterday, they recurred as the headache continued.  I had waves of nausea and could just picture myself spewing forth right then and there on the bleachers.  Thankfully, that didn't happen, nor did I have to go running across the gym and up the hallway to find an appropriate bathroom.  PHEW!  The strangest thing, which I've only had happen three times in my life is that my fingers went numb.  I suddenly realized that my middle finger on my left hand was completely dead.  It looked the same as all the others, but after a few seconds, I could feel the numbness creep into my ring finger and then my pinky.  I thought I was having a stroke.

Within the next few minutes, the feeling came back, but it was a bit scary.

Today, I have the heavy feeling about my neck and shoulders.  That feeling that the menace of a headache is just sitting there waiting to hit  me again.  Thus the cursing of my lollipop head and my sucker stick neck.  That's exactly how it feels right now.

1 comments:

Alyson said...

Aw, I'm so sorry. It sounds really terrible. Wish I could bestow my non-migraine-ism to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...