Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 4- A Habit I Wish I Didn't Have

Hi.  My name is Julie and I pick my cuticles.

I started doing this back when I was about twelve.  It has been called a "nervous habit," but the funny thing is my mom did it too.  Genetic habits?  At my mom's funeral, my brother, for some reason, looked at my hand.  He saw my thumb and said, "Wow!  That's Mom's thumb."

I have done a little research on it recently and found that it's not all that uncommon. 

What it comes down to is that I really don't like the feeling of the roughness of hangnails, and I usually don't have fingernail clippers on hand, so I pick the skin off.  It's not a matter of me wanting to hurt myself, and I don't believe it has anything to do with stress.  At some of the most stressful times of my life, my hands have looked their best--when I got married and each time I've had a child.

I would love to stop.  I just don't know how because most of the time I don't realize I'm doing it.

There you have it.  Any ideas for me?  Anyone else do this?

2 comments:

Alyson said...

I can be a nail biter. I'll go months, sometimes even years, without doing it. Usually I'll break two or three at once and I think the others look stupid long so I bite them off, and then I bite for a few months. Never because of nerves, no; I do it when I'm not thinking. When I'm watching a movie or TV or, most especially, when I'm reading. Reading blogs. Reading books. It isn't a nervous habit, it's an unconscious habit.

My boy picked his cuticles during movies and reading. I made him wear thin knit gloves during the activities that were the worst offenders, until the habit was broken. It took a long, long time. Like me, he goes back to it sometimes. I make him wear the gloves again.

Julia Shinkle said...

I do it too Julie! I have since I was a kid too. I do it when I am nervous, sometimes so bad they bleed. I have been treating myself to getting my nails done (gel nails) and I can't pick at them because the nails aren't sharp enough.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...