Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Extreme Makeover?




Okay, so first of all, scary on the 2nd photo, I know. It was early on a cold Saturday morning in soccer season. If you can get beyond that, do you notice anything different about me, or is it all in my own mind? Looking in the mirror I just see me, no change, just me. Those who see me day to day probably don't notice either.

The family reunion was a huge boost to my motivation. I know some people start wanting to lose weight because of reunions and such, that was not my motive. This past weekend, my brother said that, compared to a year ago, it was "Like an extreme makeover." That made me feel so good.

I met my 10% goal a week ago. I was so thrilled! I'm now to the pre-pregnancy weight I was at with my middle three children. I feel different....better about myself. Like I've conquered something.

My goal is to lose another 12 pounds. So far, except for one week--the one spent at girls' camp, I've lost weight each week as I've weighed in.

I will be the first to admit that my body image is a bit distorted. The reasons behind this weight loss were so many and so varied that I couldn't possibly cover all of them here. I just knew I had to get going on it before I was too far gone, and it was too insurmountable and overwhelming. I had lost weight naturally after having each of my children until I turned 35. I lost to some degree and then it just would start to creep back up. According to the BMI, I was just in the "overweight" category but having never had to worry about my weight before, although I knew what it meant to eat healthy--8 glasses of water a day, 5 fruits and veggies, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I needed a driving force. I really wasn't taking care of myself in any way. I had stopped caring about myself. The weight thing was affecting my self-esteem, but I didn't even realize it until it started coming off.
Having seen a number of women in my ward lose weight and look so great, I started asking around. They all had gone the same route--Weight Watchers. so, that's the route I have taken also. For me, knowing that I get to stop paying money once I reach my goal is a huge motivator. It's taken me three months to lose up to this first goal. How long will it take until the next goal? I don't know, but I'm sure learning a lot on the way.

5 comments:

vaxhacker said...

Congrats on meeting your goal! I'm juuuust almost at my 10% too, and it's a great feeling (even knowing I have more to lose, reaching that milestone kind of reminds us that this is doable).

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Yay! 10% is a huge step- I am very excited for you Julie! Just keep going-- set a goal on how much you want to loose by labor day- that will help focus you(That is 4 weeks away, maybe a 1.5 pounds a week? That is 6 pounds, and you can drop that last 6 in the next 4 weeks) Or do somthing like that, that always helped me, but I didn't do it at the end which is why it took me 4 months or so on that last 5? I am impressed- don't you feel in control and healthy! And lets talk about the body image thing in person, I can't beleive how hard it is to let go of this bad image I have of myself.

Bambi and Jack said...

Julie,
Way to go girl!!! You do look fabulous, but I didn't want to say anything because somehow it always comes out wrong and I get misunderstood!
And by the way, I agree on the music thing. I sometimes feel like we need a metronome because all the songs are beginning to sound the same....slow!

Anonymous said...

WOW! When you put the pictures together like that - it's like you took 10 years off! I'm so proud of you! And yes, you DID look smokin' hot at the reunion. : )
Congratulations!!

Rachel said...

You go girl! You are even motivating me! I seem to be a little "fluffy" since going back to school =(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...