Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Gannon's Humor

The Hamm family has an interesting humor--quirky, dry, quick. I don't seem to have it as deeply as a couple of my brothers do, but Gannon is definitely in their ranks.

Today, I was in a hurry as I was driving the kids. I got to a light and was ready to turn right when I saw two women waiting at the corner to walk across that same intersection. I'll paint you a little illustration. One was blonde, tan, the perfect specimen of young and fit. As the light changed, she jogged across the street quite briskly in her red and black running clothes. After she crossed, she stopped to stretch.

The other woman, was a bit older, I'd say maybe late-40s, or early 50s, brunette, dowdy, and sucking away on a cigarette. She got a little later start at crossing than the runner did, and moved at the pace of a very slow snail. Her walk was painful to watch. It was as if she had been idle for too long and was reteaching herself how to move. I sighed as I watched her puff away and inch aross as I was in a hurry.

My lessons in teaching my children to never smoke are frequent and are nearly always taught by those who do. It was as if Gannon was anticipating this. I said, "There goes a lesson for you."

Gannon replied immediately with, "What?... Stretch before you smoke?"

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Gannon cracks me up and I love dry, quirky humor. It's the same humor my hubby and his mother possess.

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! That boy is going to go far in life. What a riot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...