Saturday, April 17, 2010

Just Not Feeling So Blogorific

I want to write something SO badly.  I wish I had something to say.  A friend of mine, a couple weeks ago, called me "shy."  I laughed out loud.  I don't know that I'm really shy.  I've just had a lot on my mind.

I met up with this friend at a church activity.  The previous Sunday I'd been given a new calling, and it hadn't been made public yet, so I had to be quiet about it.  I was a bit stressed about it, so I was just being quiet because of those two facts.  At least, I think that's it.

Last Sunday it became public, and I was called to serve as Primary president.  Other than serving in two different Young Women's presidencies as a counselor, I have never held a leadership calling before, so this is new territory for me.  To be honest, it's a little bit scary, but I have two great counselors and a wonderful secretary, so this has alleviated a lot of my concerns.  I also have no doubt that Heavenly Father will help us.  Just choosing the women I get to work with was evidence enough that He is right there.

When the bishop asked me to do this, I was taken aback.  My first thought was of the nursery.  I loved my nursery calling so much!  More than I ever would have dreamed.  It was like going to a party every Sunday.  It was total play time.  I feel like I've all of a sudden grown up and been called to work.

This past Sunday, when church was over, someone came up to me in the hallway and asked how things went.  I told her that everyone was still alive, so it must have gone okay.  I really felt like I was in a fog.  I'm hoping that sensation goes away soon.  I have been impressed with everyone in our ward that I've asked to help with various things over this past week.  Each person has been great about accepting opportunities to serve.

I love that we live in a patient ward and that I get to learn to serve better and lean on the Lord a WHOLE LOT.  I have so much to learn.  I know I'm going to make mistakes and that scares me, but I also know that I get to serve the best people in the ward--the kids.  It's going to be so fun getting to know them.  I will also get to spend time with my three boys during church each Sunday.  That's never happened before.  I haven't served in the Primary in ten years, since B was born, so this is an opportunity I'm going to treasure.  I just hope I get over the jitters soon and can overcome my "shyness."

5 comments:

Holly Renee said...

Wow, good luck with the new calling. I'm sure you will learn a lot. It sounds like you have such a strong faith in God you could get through anything. You don't seem to be shy on here, so maybe that's a start.

vaxhacker said...

I know the calling seems like a hard thing to take on, but I have complete confidence you'll do a great job. The Lord has a way of giving us more capacity to serve in these capacities than we had of our own accord going in to them, too. Looking forward to working with you!

And (as you know from reading my own attempts) I understand completely what you mean by your comments about blogging. It seems that despite my own best intentions to write more regularly, the ability or time to really put virtual pen to paper waxes and wanes in some sort of weird cycle. Maybe it's a phase of the moon kind of thing. Anyway, write what you can, when you feel like it. We'll be here :)

Chris and Hay said...

Oh Julie you're SOOOO wonderful! I think you'll be such a great Primary President!

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

God's blessings to you as you follow our Lord's calling.

And I totally get it about "Waxing and waning" with regards to writing. I've been blogging for almost four years and it truly does follow that cycle. In fact, there have been times where I've taken huge chunks of time off.

Blessings to you!

Alyson said...

It's a funny thing that we (at least, here in Utah) say "congratulations!" about a calling, when it is nothing we aspire to, sometimes nothing that we want ;), and nothing that we had anything to do with in terms of being chosen. But anyway, congratulations! You're going to be a fantastic primary president. The little ones in your ward will just blossom under your love and leadership. In four years when you get your next calling, you'll have tears in your eyes about leaving this one behind.

But this did come awfully hard on the heels of your best-kept-secret-nursery post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...