Friday, December 26, 2008

Missing Emilie


My childhood friend and neighbor Emilie Ast Lemmons, who has been suffering from cancer, died on Christmas Eve. I have been wanting to blog about it but haven't been sure how to. I have requested prayers on her behalf in the past, but now I'm requesting prayers on behalf of her husband Steve and two boys, Daniel and Ben.

Emilie was a writer by profession. We graduated from high school together. She attended Columbia University in New York. She was a soft-spoken, intelligent woman, who came from an uncomplicated, unpretentious, God-fearing Catholic family.

It has been a blessing in my life to become reacquainted with Emilie over this past year. We reconnected through facebook and then really got to know each other again through our blogs. If you get a chance, go to my sidebar and find Lemmondrops (her blog) and take a minute to read some of her entries.

Emilie visited her family in Portland--they still live in the house they did when I was a child--in October. By the end of the trip, she had an excrutiating pain in her hip and had to travel via wheelchair through the airport on her trip back to Minnesota.

To me, this was all very poignant. After my mother had seen all of her family, she too started to have intense pain in her hip and lost her ability to walk. I so hoped that these signs in Emilie, with her young family, weren't going to be the end for her. I also hoped she would make it through the holidays.

It is hard to understand why young children would have to lose a parent. My mom lost her mom when she was just about to turn six. My one comfort in this is that my mother was a uniquely strong person. She was sweetly strong. I hope this for these two boys.

As I have read of Emilie's journey through cancer up to death, I have been so impressed with her husband. I didn't realize until today, as I've read facts about her life on facebook, that she and Steve were only married for five years. The things she writes about him are so sweet. He loved her unconditionally.

I worry for Emilie's family here in Portland. Their road has not been an easy one. They are quiet people, strong and enduring. I hope in their situation they are able to get out to Minnesota. The funeral is on Monday.

I will miss reading Emilie's blog posts. I will miss getting to watch her boys grow up through her camera lens and hear about her fun dates with her husband. It is hard to believe that she is gone. I am grateful for the blogsphere that puts us back in touch with and connects us with others who we might never know but who can enrich our lives with their day to day comings and goings.

Please keep the Lemmons and Ast families in your prayers.

10 comments:

Messy Jess said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers. Jess

Darilyn said...

That is so sad. I cannot even imagine what her family and friends must be feeling right now. I will be thinking of you.

The Garver Family said...

Thanks for posting, Julie. I'm sorry about your friend. I will keep these families and yours in my prayers.

Jan said...

My heart is aching for you and her family. So very very sorry about the sweet loss. Please except a big hug over here in the Tri-Cities. Take care.

Jen said...

Oh my Julie. I am sooo sorry for your loss. What a tragedy for all. And my heart certainly goes out to this sweet family. I would love to read some of her entries and I know I will bawl my eyes out reading them knowing she has passed on. My thoughts and prayers are with you and her family. God bless.

Shauna said...

Stopping by with l♥ve and hugs :) Shauna

Tonya said...

Wow Julie. I am sad to hear the news. I will be praying for her husband and boys.

Anonymous said...

The woman who has been my substitute mother for the past 13 years has been diagnoticed with a brain tumor at the begining of the month. It took them a lot of time to find out what was wrong with her but when they did they were able to remove it really quick and she was able to go back to her family on the 25th.
It is the first time in my life I came close to lose someone so dear in my life and I am 32! I was really not doing good until they removed it.
I don't want to try to imagine what her husband must be feeling like.

Anonymous said...

please delete this message after you have read it because it is not relevant to your post.
I looked for a way to just send you the link to my blog with the answer to the little game you accepted to play so here it is:

http://backandthen.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=592&message=6

Take care

Alyson said...

So sad. *sniffle* I know death is just a part of life, but I wish that death would entirely pass over the Christmas season so that Christmas and someone's passing weren't inextricably linked in anyone's memories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...