Saturday, December 20, 2008

Madness or Medicine?


I noticed that the last time I posted was my 300th post. I think I deserved a bit of a break. Ooh, that darned entitlement thing. I really didn't deserve it, but the only things I truly want to blog about cannot be blogged about yet. I'm figuring give me to the end of this week, and I won't be able to stand it any more. Just a warning--a good gut spilling is on its way--that's what Z says I do here (he's just jealous that he doesn't have a place to do the same; don'cha think?).

I can't sleep this morning, so here I am. Nothing like a little therapeutic blogging to put one back to sleep. Only problem is, my little human alarm clock will be awake by the time I finish I'm sure. *Sigh*

But, did you miss me? I know I have blogging friends that when they don't blog I miss them terribly. I'm sorry to be so sporadic, but I'm going to make that all change.


The other evening, we were with my sister-in-law and nephew. About something we had just done, my nephew said, "I have never laughed so hard in my life." Q said, "Well, you should come eat dinner at our house more often. I laugh that hard every night just sitting at the dinner table with my family." I LOVED that! We are truly a madhouse, and I would have it no other way.

I was also raised in that kind of home where laughter was the norm. We used to try to beat each other to the punch. When my dad said something, all us kids'd try to be the one with the funniest retort. It was just our way of communicating and showing love to each other. It's how I feel that others love me now. I love people who laugh easily--I feel a connection with them. I fear people who don't smile. I wonder when life turned sour for them.

I remember a few times when things got heavy in our home and my dad would lose his humor. Those were sad times. I have to admit, I follow that trend as well. These past few months have been a fairly humorless time in my life. I regret that I'm not laughing away my worries and am really trying to find a way to do so.

I once worked at girls' camp with a well-respected woman in our stake. One day she said something along the lines that people who laugh too much aren't right in the head. A number of years back, I heard a rumor spread that a friend of mine was crazy--not sure why this was concluded about her, and I defended her. I'm fairly certain that the same thing was said about me; the rumor spreader might not be all wrong if too much laughter is the criteria. Those who honestly consider us crazy just don't understand.

Honestly, I enjoy life. I feel that things happen for a purpose and there's a greater force in control here. Yah, hard things happen; bad things happen, and sometimes I get caught up in trying to adapt, but when it all comes down to it, let's put this all into perspective--I'm not out here on my own, fending for myself with nothing to guide me. I should be able to laugh at life, and I should laugh a lot and laugh hard.

So, here's the catch 22. They say laughter is the "best medicine," but on the other hand, if I'm a person who laughs easily, I'm crazy? Okay, so which is it? I'd much rather go through life facing my difficulties with laughter than with a stiff upper lip as I "take my medicine."

No doubt these are hard times. There are so many things to get caught up in and worried about. Many of these things that we face are not a joking matter it's true, but aren't there good things in life as well? Aren't there things that we should be truly joyful about? I just can't help but think that God is aware of the evil and bad situations around us, but is that what He wants us to focus on? If we are truly reliant on Him, shouldn't we be able to come to understand and learn from those things, make the best possible choices in how we respond to them, and then put Him in charge and seek for the joy that is here for us?

I look at my children, and I worry about what the future holds for them and their children. Who doesn't? But, do I want them to live lives of worry and sorrow? No WAY, so I'm giving them a little of my "insanity"--a little madness--so they can learn to live happily in hard times. Are you doing this too? Is there a method to your madness?

I know that our Father in Heaven has a sense of humor. I've experienced it. I believe He's blessed my life with it, and I'm grateful for it. Now, I just need to find it again.

Well, the two-year-old continues to sleep--oh blessed day! So, thank you for letting me spill a few more of my guts here. I'm back off to sleep now. I leave for you...

...some medicine:




7 comments:

Darilyn said...

Yes, I've missed you. I'm hoping to make it to your house today. We have something to drop off. But if we can't make it that far up the hill, then Merry Christmas my dear friend!

I love you!

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Yay! You posted again! I have been missing you--hmm, I guess I could have just called you. Its been a crazy week with snow and stuff I guess.

I love laughter. Very rarely an argument or tough situation in my home growing up ended WITHOUT a joke or a laugh(And am blessed with a husband who does-or tries to do the same!). That laugh seemed to truely mend the heart after an emotional upset. And smiling- like you said people that don't smile make you uncomfortable- I have found the value of both giving and receiving a truely heartfelt smile. I am sorry for those that don't get it like we do-- SO- if you are crazy, I am right there with ya!

Hope you got some more sleep! Love ya, Megan

vaxhacker said...

Welcome back from your hiatus from the Blogosphere. I was hoping everything was ok (but guessing maybe you just got sucked into Facebook or something for a while).

I'm occasionally paranoid about this because I tend to meet everything with humor (weird and darkly sarcastic as my sense of humor can sometimes be), and how people might interpret that, and why aren't you more serious don'tyouunderstandthisisnolaughingmatter??!! And then... at some point, I just had to say to myself, of course I understand things are serious. And all the more need to add a little humor to help deal with it all. And if people can't meet life with laughter, I just don't understand how they can be sane.

If life were the M*A*S*H 4077th, I'd probably be Hawkeye or BJ. Don't let the Franks of the world dampen your spirit.

{Flees into the shadows, cackling madly...}

The Garver Family said...

I have to admit, I checked daily, someones more than once, for an update. I did miss you, Julie! You are so wonderful!

If we can't laugh at things then what is the alternative? Cry, be angry, upset, hurt? I'd much rather laugh...

Alyson said...

I have missed you, and I've prayed for you! :) I hope you and yours have the very merriest of Christmases, and that you know you're loved.

Debra/Mom said...

Julie, If you are crazy because you laugh, I guess I'm in good company. I think that people who are grumpy are not fun to be around.
"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone..."
Love you.

Jen said...

You HAVE been missed! Yes, laughter is truly a wonderful thing! It's the best medicine. We're an Asylum at our house! Ha. Have a great day and get some sleep!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...