Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ringing in the New Year


In past years, we've had movie marathons. One year we watched our series of old Little Rascal movies from about 4pm until 1am. We could have gone on longer, but by then we could hardly keep our eyes open. Another year we watched Mr. Bean in the same manner.

When it was changing from 1999 to 2000, I was up feeding and changing a brand new baby. That was a new year's celebration I'll never forget.

This year we're not doing anything fantastic to celebrate the ending of 2008 and beginning of 2009. We're going to play games, drink sparkling cider, eat my mom's amazing dip, and maybe watch a movie or two. It's just going to be us. Z wanted to invite others, but I'm not sure I'll make it to midnight or that I'll even try, so I squelched his great idea. You know, every party has a pooper...

The one thing we're going to try this year is to pass around a piece of paper for each family member that says, "What I want from ____ in 2009." We'll pass them to those who can write and see what we come up with. Of course, these listed things can't be physical items; they will be limited to actions or ideas. I'm hoping this will help me and the rest of the family come up with some resolutions. I might even add the element of a wish for each family member for the new year.

So, for today, the plan is to clean the house. I always want to start a new year out fresh. I'm hoping to get the garage completely finished, sheets changed, laundry done, garbage all out, and everything sparkling. Thank goodness I have so many helpers! The men in the house need haircuts, so I'll undertake that as well. We'll see how we do.

I'd love to know what your traditions are. What was your most memorable new year's celebration?
Happy New Year!!!

6 comments:

Rory Baxter said...

We will miss getting together with you guys - but understand how you feel - I may be in bed by 9pm myself :)
I hope we can find time for us to get together soon!

Josh Alder said...

Emily and I have spent the past three New Year's Eve celebrations up here at Hoodoo Ski Area near Sisters, Ore.

In fact, it was exactly two years ago that I told her parents I wanted to marry Emily and asked for their blessing (I would have married her anyway... but, luckily, they liked me and gave me their approval!).

As is almost always the case, I keep going and going. In fact, I write this at 2:36 a.m., and I'm the only one of the 10+ family members here who is still awake. It's those Hispanic genes... my entire family are all night owls.

I hope you and yours had a great New Year's Eve!

Darilyn said...

I think our only real tradition with New Years is that we try to do "something". whatever that may be. It always involves favorite snacks and usually a get together with friends. This year Chris' parents and two of his siblings came and we celebrated with them. It was fun. I hope you have a fantastic New Year!

The Garver Family said...

This is a hard holiday for parents with small children, we've realized. So, since our children have been born, we usually stay up together and kiss the New Year in and drink sparkling apple cider. :) It's very nice and sweet, low key and very uneventful, but we do it every year.

Jen said...

That's awesome Julie! Ours was pretty low key--dinner, played games, and drank some Martinelli's at midnight! We also sat down and wrote out some family goals. I hope you had a great new year's day! Hugs!

Jan said...

I really want to recipe to the amazing mom dip. That sounds way good Julie.

Have a great year :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...