Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Someday... *Sigh*


We sat looking at our Christmas tree this evening. We have just a plain ol' tree. Nothing like you'd see at a department store or anything fancy like that, but every ornament has a story behind it, and you can tell that some proud kids decorated it. You can also tell that a two year old lives in our house by all the ornaments that were once on the tree but now decorate the floor.
As we looked at the tree tonight, A and I, I started to comment on who made which ornaments. He asked, "Which ones did I make?" I realized that there weren't any that he had made. There were some that he'd been given, but nothing that he could look at and say, "I made that," so I told him the day school gets out for Christmas break, we'd make ornaments.
I remember being invited over to my neighbor Laurie's house when I was little to make homemade ornaments. One year it was orange crickets made from clothespins and another year, it was styrofoam boys and girls that we cut out with cookie cutters and painted with red and green glitter. We were allowed to take home whatever we made and put them on our tree. Every year, I would remember making those ornaments and the good feelings of doing so. This is a tradition I'd like to start in my home.
As I was hunting for ideas this evening, I came across this. I think it's beautiful and would love to make it, but it makes me laugh because as I look at this picture, all I can see are little bites out of each and every apple. This poor thing wouldn't last a day at my house. Would someone please make this, so I can enjoy it at your house?

Someday, I'm going to have things like this. Just wait and see. For now, I'm going to have glittered styrofoam hanging from my tree, and I'm going to have kids who are proud to say "I made that" for the next fifteen years of their lives.
I this this is a good trade-off.

8 comments:

Darilyn said...

Every year as a child my mom would enlist my sister and I to help her make new ornaments at Christmas time. These would be carefully packaged up and sent to each one of her brothers and sisters. And of course we would keep a set for ourselves. My tree now is graced with a few of each of these sets. They are so dear to me and as I take each one out of the box to put on the tree I can remember how much fun we had making them. Homemade ornaments are great, i'm a fan of them.

The Garver Family said...

My sister was so very talented, in fact, I'm surprised it wasn't criminal. She could draw and paint amazingly, in fact, I have her first framed piece that is stunning, of course. One of the things that she did was make ornaments as well, naturally, they are beautiful. The year before last my favorite ornament she made was broken by accident by one of my children. I cried. This particular one wasn't the most beautiful, but it broke my heart nonetheless. She had combed Horsefall Beach on the coast for days until she found the right shells. She took a clear glass ornament ball and inside it placed some sand, and the shells she carefully found, along with some beautiful sand brushed rocks.

She decorated some larger shells that she found as well with flowers and leaves. She put some potpourri inside clear glass globes as well.

She cut out little tiny patterns, like hearts and cats, etc., stuffed them and those are even great. (Probably the most toddler friendly, too.)

Anyway, most of my ornaments on my tree are ones that she has skillfully made and are so very precious to me. So what I'm saying is, that homemade ornaments are just the best.

Alyson said...

"You can also tell that a two year old lives in our house by all the ornaments that were once on the tree but now decorate the floor."

Years ago we built a (free-standing, three-sided, hinged) 3 foot tall picket fence that we've kept around the tree to prevent the toddler from getting presents or ornaments.

This is the first year we haven't needed it. Which is both happy and sad. :)

Here's a make-at-home ornament that is so pretty! We always make these in our chemistry years of homeschool.
http://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/snow/boraxsnowflake.html

Tonya said...

I LOVE the idea of having the kids help make ornaments. I did not grow up doing that, but I am on the quest to start a new tradition with my kiddos. I am excited. Thanks for the great idea!

Tonya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

What a fab mom you are to have a special time making Christmas ornaments! That's awesome! Ya, I love that apple decore decoration too! Beautiful.

Heidi said...

I remember vividly the year my mom decided to get "her" tree. The boxes of ornaments we had made over the years didn't get pulled out that year. Instead, we had a perfectly pink tree, just like my mom wanted. I was devasted, as were my siblings. It just didn't seem right. So don't rush your perfect tree. Your kids savor those styrofoam balls more than you know.

Tami said...

My favorite part of Christmas is decorating the tree and the memories that come to mind with each ornament unwrapped. I agree that the homemade ones are the best. I just came across a recipe for a cinnamon dough that you make handprints in/bake and then hang. Let me know if you want it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...