Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Lucky Number

As a child, when asked what my favorite number was, I would say, "Four." Why four? I really don't know. I think my thought pattern went something like this.... I was born on April 13th--4/13. Thirteen can't possibly be anyone's lucky number, so I'd better opt for four. There it is, my favorite number, but as far as a lucky number, I've never had one. I think it's now time to have one.

According to Three Dog Night,
"One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do.
Two can be as bad as one
It's the loneliest number since the number one..."

..And, from what I understand from my childhood Saturday mornings, three is a magic number...



There are four seasons, so that's gotta be pretty important.

We, most of us, have five fingers and five toes on each hand and foot, and you give a "high five" when something goes really well. We also have five senses.

Can't think of anything for six, but to have a sixth sense about something is pretty special, so there you go. I thought six was a pretty great number for our family. Six kids was pretty danged blissful.

But now, SEVEN, let's look at seven...


Seven has been acclaimed as THE lucky number.

  • God rested on the seventh day and sanctified it.
  • There are seven days in a week.
  • There were seven loaves multiplied in the miracle of the loaves and the fishes (and there was surplus).
  • Oh yah, Pharoah had seven years of plenty and seven years of famine back in Moses' day.
  • There are seven notes in a major scale.
  • In the Harry Potter books, seven is said to be the most powerfully magic number.
  • There are "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People."
  • There's a seventh inning stretch in baseball.
  • I drink 7-Up when my tummy's upset and played "Heads Up Seven Up" when I was in elementary school. That was pretty fun.
  • Snow White was lucky to find SEVEN dwarves in the forest.

The Hindus originally wrote seven as an upside down "J"--coincidentally the first letter of my name. Could this be symbolic? Seven, so far, has turned my life upside down.

In this analysis, lies the cryptic answer to my strangeness these past few months.

Here is a rerun of the miracle of seven:


Seven Wonders Of The Present World - Awesome video clips here

Yes, these wonders of our world are what I have to offer the seventh wonder of my world. This email was the first I received (just moments) after taking a pregnancy test, indicating that Z and I would be parents once again. The timing of this email was miraculous. It was a waking to my new reality. Becoming pregnant again was something I was sooo not anticipating. This is what I've been trying to come to grips with. This is what's been making me sick.

As of today, I am very excited to have another child. I will more than welcome him (I'm fairly certain this is another boy) or her (finally my Lachlan?) with open arms and heart, but I'm so not excited to be pregnant. It's much harder this time. I do not recommend pregnancy after 40. Pregnancy has always been a fairly easy walk in the park deal for me, but so far, it's proving different this time. I'm too old for this.

Because of the timing of so many aspects of this occurence, I can't help but believe that all things happen in the Lord's time. Coincidence? Accident? No way! Surprise? Of course. Gift? Miracle?You'd better believe it.

So, I'm going to try not to whine for the next six months.

Oh by the way, take a moment and review #4 of this list of unusual things, and you will see the significance when I tell you that


child number seven is due on 7/7.


Yes, SEVEN is my new lucky number!

(I've decided not to mention the seven deadly sins, but they'd make some really great Halloween costumes in the future.)

20 comments:

P4 said...

Oh, I am so excited for you and so glad to find out that is what was going on. You had me very worried there for awhile. All the worst possibilities were running through my head. Good luck! Number 7 is very lucky to become a part of your family.

vaxhacker said...

Congratulations! And a very enjoyable entry to read. 7 is indeed a heavily symbolic number throughout history and our own Judeo-Christian traditions, and there are even a host of legends around the 7th child. Being the 7th child born on 7/7 would be pretty cool.

Jan said...

How cool is that. Congrats. I have always loved 7 too. Good luck with everything.

The Garver Family said...

I'm so happy for you.

Darilyn said...

What a blessed child to be able to come into your family. I'm so happy for you yet sorry you haven't been feeling well. That is crazy that this one is due 7/7.

Alyson said...

You are totally awesome. You have handled that so much better than I did. Your baby number seven is going to be one LUCKY, beloved caboose. :)

vaxhacker said...

Thirteen can't possibly be anyone's lucky number

Actually, in high school, I always said my lucky number was 13, mostly because people seemed scared of it, and I thought it sounded silly to be afraid of a number. Yet another of my odd quirks, I guess :)

Jeannie said...

I am glad you found out what was going on. I am also very glad that you are having another kid! Congrats to the new family member!

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Yipee! We will have babies in the same year together! Congratulations! I am so very happy for you and your little surprise!

Ben and Heidi said...

Congratulations Julie! That was a fun way to find out too! I was going to ask what was going on and I'm glad there's a happy reason for your symptoms. It always makes it a little more bearable. Keep me updated!

Bambi and Jack said...

Julie,
Congratulations! What great news! I am sooooo excited for your family. I couldn't think of better parents to welcome a wee one into this world. Your kids are fabulous...every one of them. I look forward to meeting another "Hess". Hugs, Bambi

Rory Baxter said...

Jules,

So glad you are feeling better about things enough to finally share your news. From all the replies it is easy to see how many people you have that love you and worry about you and are going to give you great support through the coming months.
We love you and think about you and cant wait to help you welcome your new little one into this wonderful world.
Keep us posted -k-

Deanna said...

Congratulations Julie!!! I am so very happy and excited for you and your wonderfully amazing family!

Belcher Family said...

Congrats Julie!! I am so glad to hear that you are only sick because you are creating a little body...and that at the end of this long 9 months...you get a present for being sick! How great is that?

Heidi said...

What exciting news for your sweet family. Congrats! I'm excited for you.

Laura said...

wow number 7!!! I am very excited for you! Congrats my friend!

Rachael said...

I had to read your post twice, so I wasn't spreading rumors. I am so thrilled for you! You are a great mother, and you will certainly bless this new spirit number seven.

Debra/Mom said...

Congrats Julie! Big hug out to you. What a lucky baby.

Anonymous said...

DItto on P4's comment! BTW, I am due w/ our #5 in July, too! Wahoo!

Crazymamaof6 said...

so excited for you! 7 will be heaven!

and just be glad it's and not 11.
i couldn't resist.

you'll do awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...