Sunday, December 27, 2009

Here...Have a Baby

We spent Christmas with my parents-by-marriage at the Oregon coast. Today, we went to their ward. It's an interesting place. On vacation weekends, like this one, the majority of people at church are visitors.

Today, as I went to sit down in Relief Society, I pulled a chair to the back of the room and left myself a large amount of space, so I could lay a blanket out for L so she could just lay there and play with her toys. Right after I did so, an older woman in the ward followed me and put a chair right next to mine. She was fully intent on holding L. This cracked me up!

I put L down on the blanket; she immediately started to cry, so the woman bent down and picked her up. I took L away as she continued to cry and explained that I'd go feed her and bring her back to her. The woman just beamed.

So, I did what I said I would. This lady carried her around during the entire meeting. She explained later that she only had two children who were now in their 40s and neither of them had nor would ever have any children. She said it had been a very long time since she'd gotten to hold a baby.

I'm thankful for a baby who loves people--any people--and will happily go to anyone. It was nice to be able to share. Especially since my arms were aching by the time we got to that last meeting.

The other interesting thing was that during sacrament meeting, L was pretty loud--happy sounds, but loud happy sounds. I ended up taking her out. Later, I heard two men out in the foyer talking. They were commenting on how great it was to hear babies in the congregation since they have so few. I totally take that for granted. What I thought was annoying others was pleasing to their ears. Funny.

5 comments:

Small House said...

I'm one of those ladies that love the sound of babies in church. My youngest child is 15 and our fourth child passed away shortly after birth 4 years ago. I'm always grateful to mom's that let me hold their babies. It fills that empty void that our little girl left when she passed away a few years ago. Thank heavens for moms like you that bring a little umph to our hearts.

Have a great day.
Sandra

Nikia, May and da kids said...

Our ward is SO very loud with kids of all ages that sometimes you cannot hear the speakers. It wouldn't be so bad if we had babies like yours that could go to any other friendly souls, but the parents in our ward with the babies won't let anyone touch their kids and aren't even thoughtful enough to take the kids in the foyer during the actual passing of the Sacrament.

I'm sure the Sister in RS was VERY grateful for your kindness. I always get excited to hold babies too. It's been so long and I only have my young ones that I can't pick up anymore = (

May

Patrick and Paige said...

that is so sweet. Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait till I get to have my little ones happily babbling in church...Someday...Hopefully.... sooner than later.

Grace said...

that is so nice of you to allow this lady to hold your little one. I am sure it made her day!

Tonya said...

That's so neat that L brought so much happiness to that ward. It's amazing how little babes can bring people together and set off memories and happy feelings. Awesome:0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...