Monday, December 7, 2009

Mom's Ginger Snaps

Yesterday my sister-in-law mentioned how she'd made my mom's ginger snaps. I instantly craved them, so today I was the day. Just the smell made my mom seem so close. I remember when I was little, coming home from school and her letting me help roll them into balls, roll them in sugar, and put them on the baking sheet. I know they're called "snaps," but I like them soft, so I only bake them for about 8 minutes.

Ruth Hamm's Special Ginger Snaps
1 1/2 C. shortening
2 C. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 C. molasses
4 C. sifted flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. ginger

Cream shortening and sugar; beat in eggs, add molasses and sifted dry ingredients (I sifted these as a kid; I don't any more. They turn out the same). Roll into 1-inch balls and dip in sugar. Bake at 375 for 10-12 mins. Makes 5 dozen large cookies.

5 comments:

Grace said...

thanks for sharing this recipe Julie. I will definitely try to make them. Isn't it amazing how little things can remind us of our parents? Today Bryan sang with the Choir and it made me think of my Dad. Dad sang for over 50+ years in a local Church Choir...I am sure that Dad was proud of Bryan. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Nikia, May and da kids said...

Thank you. I am really going to enjoy having my boys bake these.
I <3 ginger snaps!
Besides, that's the annual gift for people at church from us. They're probably sick of us sending chocolate chip because nobody can make those, lol.

May

Patty B. said...

Gingersnap cookies are the best! I like them a little soft, too! Thanks for reminding me to make some!

Alyson said...

I adore soft ginger cookies. I'd make mine that way, too.

Hesses Madhouse said...

Just made these again today, and I have to add one comment....if you want them soft, bake them for 8 minutes, not the suggested 10.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...