Friday, December 25, 2009

Robert Redford...the Recipe

This is a recipe my mom got from somebody at church. I've also heard it referred to as "Sex in a Pan." I found, as I was going through my mom's recipes, that there are many that have been neglected. This is one of them.

I made this for our family's Christmas Eve dinner this year. Immediately upon tasting it, the kids started chiming in with, "Mom, you know how you make us cake or pie or whatever for our birthday dinner dessert? Well, this is the one I want this year."

I think we've now settled on everyone having the same birthday dinner and dessert every birthday. Each kid has wanted the same main course dish and now the dessert will be added to that. Simple. Yay! No more guess work as to who wants what.

So, for your enjoyment, here's the recipe for you! Hope you love all the creamy, gooey, richness of it!


The Next Best Thing to Robert Redford

Bottom layer - Mix until crumb-like:
1 c. flour
1 c. finely chopped pecans
1/2 c. margarine, softened
Press mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min. or until lightly golden. Cool.

Middle layer - Beat the cream cheese with the sugar until smooth. fold in half the Cool Whip:
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 c. sugar
1 12 oz. Cool Whip, divided
Spread the mixture over the cooled crust.

Top layer - Beat the milk into the pudding mixes until smooth and thickened:
1 lg. pkg. vanilla instant pudding
1 lg. pkg. choc. instant pudding
3 c. cold milk
Spread over the middle layer.

Spread the remaining Cool Whip over the top. (A grated choc. candy bar--my mom usually used a Heath or Skor bar but she used crushed candy canes during the holidays--may be sprinkled over the top, if desired, but watch out: This may make it better than Redford). Cover and refrigerate over night.

5 comments:

Rory Baxter said...

I started laughing as I continued to read this recipe - we call in "chocolate icebox dessert" at our house. We have had this recipe in our family for at least 3 generations - one my grandmother always brought to holiday gatherings.
It is a favorite in our family too - a special holiday treat.
Do you play with the puddings at all? My grandmother used to do several varieties...

So fun that your kiddos have found something so fun and yummy that they like. How easy for you that they choose the same thing for you to make!
So glad to know you guys have had a wonderful weekend together. Enjoy the rest of your break!

vaxhacker said...

We have a traditional dessert something along those general lines, but that does sound yummy. We'll have to try some Robert Redford :)

Parenthetically, I had to ask my wife what the big deal with Redford's heart-mushiness appeal was. Guess that proves I'm a straight man or something, but I don't see it. Now, if someone would just explain why so many female friends I know swoon over Tim Curry...

Unknown said...

We have a family cook book and this recipe is in there...so yummy. I laughed at the end of your post because in our cook book it's called "Better than Robert Redford." :)

Tonya said...

I thought it was called, "Better than sex cake". Hmmmm.....it is pretty dang good stuff:0) But I have never heard it called Robert Redford. So funny.....and delish!

vaxhacker said...

I have to admit I don't think I've met any food yet I'd give the accolade of "better than sex", though... a high standard indeed.

Yummy stuff, though. :)




...and see, I even resisted the temptation of putting the phrase "if you're doing it right" anywhere in there...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...