Thursday, December 17, 2009

Time with T

T loves to play with Pla-Doh, but just the smell of the store-bought stuff gives me a nasty headache. To be honest, I'm never sad when someone leaves a lid off a container so it dries out. It doesn't change the fact, though, that he loves it.

This morning, after getting the older kids off to school, and while L slept, I made playdough for us. It turned out great. If you're interested here's the recipe:


Nature's Playdough
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons cream of tartar

Mix flour, salt and oil, and slowly add the water. Cook over medium heat, stirring until dough becomes stiff. Turn out onto wax paper and let cool. Knead the playdough with your hands until of proper consistency.


I got it from this website. As you can see, the cream of tartar isn't mentioned in the instructions, so I put it in after the water. It worked just great. It also didn't take long for it to cook. Also in the instructions, it mentioned different kinds of juices you could add to create colors. I didn't do that--impractical in my world, but we added two drops of red food coloring and four drops of yellow to make it a nice orange color.

There have been a number of years in our married life in which we've done homemade Christmases for our kids. As I was making this, I thought was a great gift it would be for a small child. You could do all kinds of colors and throw in a piece of a larger dowel to make a rolling pin and throw in some cookie cutters and voila, you have a playdough set for a child's Christmas.

1 comments:

buzygrizz said...

I remember using a homemade playdough like this when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing some! Also, the apron you gave Daniel is really cute.
-Lisa C

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...