Thursday, January 6, 2011

Simple

I went to the doctor today. Nearly three weeks of illness is enough. I toughed it out after laying around for the three days after Christmas, but yesterday it hit me again hard, and I was down and out. I realized at that point that I really had been just dragging my tired self around everywhere since before Christmas and enough was enough.


I must not have been to the doctor since just after having Inmate #7 because the physician's assistant asked me if I was still nursing. I told her no, and she asked how old my baby was. When I told her 18 months, she said, "Wow! If I hadn't read it here, I would never have known that you had a baby." Okay, so it was worth paying my co-pay just for that comment. She made my day.

The doctor concluded that along with the fever that I currently had (surprise to me), I had a sinus infection. He almost acted pleased that my sinuses were hurting just so he could give me antibiotics. I think he was almost looking for an excuse to do so after being sick for three weeks.

I went and picked up my three medications from the pharmacy. I had to show my I.D. and sign my name for the cough medicine. It must be good stuff. They also gave me Mucinex. Wow! I'm impressed. I just took it about an hour ago, and it's loosening stuff up already (that's a fact I'm sure you're happy to know, huh?).

As I sat in the pharmacy waiting for my name to show up on the reader board, I got to looking at the names there. There were names from all over the world. I was impressed by that and thought of what a wonderful thing it is to live in the melting pot of the world. My name finally showed up right after Karem something-or-other. It just looked so simple sitting there. Not presumptuous. I'm not a Felicia or a Francesca. I'm just a Julie, a simple, easy to pronouce five letter name. Last name too, can't mess that one up--except that one time when someone messed up and instead of using his left ring finger to type "s" used his right ring finger; I'll let you figure that one out. That was kind of a sad occasion.

It's funny what you think when you really have nothing directing your thoughts, so I got to thinking about what it would be like to go through life with a different name. What would it be like to have a fancy or hard to pronounce or flowy name? I will never know. For me, I'm thankful to be simple.

2 comments:

Jo Tapasa said...

Funny, that you had that thought. Being Jojo Johnson (Joanna, actually...) for the first 17 years of my life I never was asked about my name except for our 4 yr stint in Scandanavian-seeped Northern Minnesota..."Johanna, JoAnna" and "sen, or son"...)...Now I get it ALL of the time...spelling and pronunciation. Since they sound like diff. letters over the phone, I spell with fruit names: "Tangerine-Apple-Papaya-Apple-Strawberry-Apple...and it rhymes with La-la-laaaa." LOL!

Unknown said...

I figured out the typo. Haha! I'm glad you're starting to feel somewhat better. Sinus infections stink. Who poked the Barbie? Or is that where all your sinus pain is?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...