Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Wall

I've hit the blogger's wall.  I feel like I've run out of things to write about.  There have been people that have asked about how I organize life with all the chaos of seven kids, and so I'm thinking I'll head that direction.

Here's the honest truth....

I have struggled from the beginning with balancing kids and home.  It's been a constant struggle.  Some people, it seems, find this so easy, and I'd love to hear your pointers if you are one of these.  I have come up with a few answers, and it's made life quite a bit easier.  So, if you are also seeking answers, I'd love to know if you try any of mine out and how they work for you.

The beginning of the quest for a clean and orderly home started with the book.  I honestly love this book and still read it about once a year.  I was then directed to Sidetracked Home Executives by Pam Young and Peggy Jones.  The edition I had was written back in the '80s, I believe.  It made house cleaning into a kind of game with a box of cards that you moved from day to day, week to week, month to month.  I enjoyed it, but it wasn't something I could carry on for long periods of time.

The principles in these books stuck to some degree or another, but I think Flylady made the biggest difference.  Her principles were just what I needed.  Here's the drawback--her website is a mess and very hard to maneuver through.  Also, she sends out a huge amount of daily reminders to one's email inbox thus leading to more chaos.  Kind of counter-productive.

About a year and a half ago, I'd had it.  Always feeling like I was on the treadmill and never moving forward.  Not only not moving forward, but losing my footing and falling off altogether.  Very frustrating!!!

So, I decided that I needed to get a grip on it all, and was sure I could do it all, but there was NO WAY I was going to be able to do it alone.  I knew there was only one being who could help me.  No matter how many online sources I looked to or how many wonderful homemakers' examples I followed, I had to lean on the One who knows me best, so I got on my knees and earnestly prayed for help.

That has made all the difference.

I will share what I learned tomorrow.....

4 comments:

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

I like flylady too-- but found the same issues as you. I do prefer to have a "routine" set up, but too often we have to throw it out the window because life doesn't always work with routines. As I sat in RS a few weeks ago with a lesson on : good, better, best- a great talk- I thought: How can I prioritize what is better and what is best when all I am trying to do is hang on for dear life?

I am looking forward to your next post- I admire you Julie. I know I have a lot to learn from you.

Anonymous said...

I feel the exact same way Julie. he treadmill thing is exactly how I feel. Someday I feel like I am making no head way--even after spending all day working, cleaning, preparing.

Somedays I think getting past the guilt of everything not running smoothly is what is hardest.

vaxhacker said...

I can SO identify with everything here including the others' comments! The FlyLady stuff does seem to make a lot of sense to me, though, including the motivating power of flipping between 30 minutes of housework and 30 minutes of some interesting personal project. Often, though, I find that once I get some momentum built up on the housework I don't need to stop at 30 minutes. (Unfortunately that happens the other direction too... dangit.)

Unknown said...

I love Pam and Peggy's book! I have an original copy from the first publication. (My mother purchased it because she was a major SHE too. lol) I've also tried FlyLady and had the same trouble with that as you.

After many failed attempts and programs that don't work I'm realizing it's not the process that doesn't work for me. It's me!

I need to change.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...