Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happens Every So Often

Today was definitely one of our tougher days. I think I've gotten to be somewhat of a control freak. I take for granted that my kids are fairly obedient, but they do have phases. Right now I have two kids who are in one of those I'm-going-to-do-what-I-want-to-do phases. It also happens to correspond with the what-I-want-to-do-is-the-opposite-of-what-you-want-me-to-do-phase. Ugh!

We met in #1's room for scriptures this morning.  It was less than an idyllic setting, but it worked.  Tomorrow, #2 is the lucky winner of our company.  YAY!!!

At the end of scriptures, I lowered the boom.  The good ol' Saturday job list.  Each person in the family (the Warden and myself included) was to start with cleaning his/her bedroom and then complete his/her weekly job, but all they had to do was straighten their area.  The first person to report for family scripture study then got to choose a deep cleaning job.  This was to be done after the weekly job was completed.  The choices were vacuum, sweep and mop hard floors, glass, bathrooms, scour kitchen and clean table, yard, and garbages.

Here's the funniest thing about this list.  I LOVE doing the garbages--easiest job in the house.  It's the job EVERYONE else hates.  Honestly, if they had to choose shave your head or empty the garbages, they'd choose to go with the new hairstyle.

Because of the children I mentioned above, things were very frustrating.  Nothing I said or did motivated one of the kids.  I am at a total loss here.  My problem is that, although it's all their choice, I look back and wonder what I've done wrong--not consistent enough, not enough jobs assigned, etc.

The rest of us got our jobs done, but that one child....Ugh!  Besides that fact, I love that many hands make light work, and the house looks so much better.

When we were done, I took #1 shopping.  My toes have been hurting a lot lately.  I can't think of any reason why, but it was decided that maybe I needed a new pair of shoes.  I am not one of those women who has a dozen or more pairs of shoes.  I have one that I wear everyday and a pair for Sundays.  I also own two pairs of boots and a pair of tennis shoes.

#1 and I ran around everywhere.  Finally, at the last place--J.C. Penney's--we found the perfect pair, but they didn't have my size, so they ordered them for me.  YAY for packages arriving on my doorstep!

During our search, I found a super cute, what #1 calls "bubblegum pink," trench coat and a grey scarf with butterflies on it.  I couldn't say no to them.  I'm not one to wear super bright colors, but this coat just makes me happy.  I haven't bought anything for myself in a long time.  We also found a few things for #1, so it was a good trip.

Tonight we colored eggs, and I'm working on cupcakes for tomorrow night.  I'm now going to get breakfast prepared.  I'm making this.  Hope you have a wonderful Easter!

1 comments:

Alyson said...

I'm always amazed that cleaning has to be a battle week after week. My big surprise this week was that #6, who is only 7YO, had the hardest room, and kept it totally clean. I was amazed.

I hope your family has a wonderful Easter morning. We have SNOW falling. Sigh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...