Thursday, April 14, 2011

Quote of the Day

Please don't think this is the start of a new trend here at the Madhouse.  This quote just deserved to be repeated.

For my current class (adolescent literature), I had to come up with a topic and choose three books to read that relate to it.  I chose manners and etiquette.  I'm reading the first book of the three, Classy by Derek Blasberg.  I am not surprised that many of the things he writes I had no clue about.  There's a whole female world out there that I am totally inept about--designer items, dress codes, how to apply perfume....The list could go on and on and on.

He has great quotes that stand out on each page.  On page 36, in the chapter on grooming, there it is:

"Beauty is only skin deep, but ugliness goes clear to the bone."
--Dorothy Parker

Here's my interpretation.  You can't really judge anyone by how they look.  It's really not fair.  A person is not what they look like.  It's what inside them that really defines who they are.  Isn't it true that you can meet the most beautiful person (outwardly) in the entire universe, but what they say or do can change how they look (or affirm it) in a matter of seconds?

Anyway, I loved this quote.  I got a good laugh out of it.  As I thought about it, I came to the realization that with my dearest friends I don't really pay attention to what they look like any more because it's their hearts I've come to know.

3 comments:

Janiece said...

heheeeee
We always have said.....
I might be fat, but I can fix that...
YOU CAN NOT FIX UGLY!
hahahahahhahahhahahaahahaaaaa

Nonna said...

So true...I have known some really beautiful people in my time who are so shallow and are ugly to the bone !

Unknown said...

This is something you would see on Facebook.. Hopefully the ugly to the bone ones can mend their ways and find a way to look pretty again..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...