Friday, April 15, 2011

Putting Foundations Under My Castles

I just started taking Personal Finance.  It was an elective.  That's all I have left.  YAY electives!  I think I deserve this after taking darned statistics, but really, when it comes down to it, what do I really deserve?

The goal of this class is to create a personal financial plan, but before any of that can be accomplished, goals must be set.

Oh, I love this kind of stuff.  It just gets me all excited!  Is that weird?  Are there other people like this or am I just extremely nerdly in my own special way?

When I was about 14 and went to seminary for the first time, we would have a daily devotional.  We, smart alec kids in my class, found a quote book and located the shortest quote we could find.  We agreed with each other, out of earshot of our teacher, that that would be our devotional on any day when we weren't prepared or were called on spur of the moment.  Little did I know that that quote would haunt me again in my life, and little did I know how much impact this quote would have on me.  It was as follows:

"An unwritten goal is merely a wish."

I don't even know who said it.  So, have you written any goals lately?  What are you working to accomplish?  I love that the foundation of this goal setting (laid out by the course), is to find what I feel Heavenly Father wants me to be and find the steps to getting there.

“If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them” (Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854).

If you're interested, I will share these things as I develop them.  Fun times ahead!  I'm almost giddy with excitement.  I know, I know....What a nerd!

3 comments:

Darilyn said...

I am working on trying to remember to take my reusable grocery bags into the store with me instead of forgetting them in the back of my car.

Hesses Madhouse said...

Darilyn! You are HILARIOUS! This is the story of my life. My thing, though, is that I'm looking right at those bags on the rack under the cart, and I, somehow, don't even see them. At least in the back of your car, they're out of sight, out of mind, right? I'm not seeing what's under my own nose. Ugh!

Unknown said...

Nerds are people to Julie! hee hee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...