Sunday, October 23, 2011

I Lied

Well....not so much a lie as I misinformed you.  I believe when I wrote about the Zaycon chicken that I said the pieces were individually wrapped.  I thought they were.  Instead of opening the package, I simply looked through it.  When I saw other plastic bags around other chicken, it really looked like they were individually wrapped.  I found out this morning, sadly, that they are not. 

I had brought the cases home and placed them in the freezer.  After opening the outside clear plastic bag, that the chicken is placed in three or four smaller bags.  So, now, I have to figure out how to divide that chicken into more usable portions.  Can I thaw and refreeze chicken?

So, please note, if you order in the future, they do need to be divided before freezing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie.. Dontcha just hate surprises like that?
and NO you can't thaw and refreeze chicken.. it'll make ya sick!

Deena said...

According to the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service:

"Refreezing -
Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly."

So, if you thaw it in the refrigerator, you should be fine.

I hope this helps!

~ Deena

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...