Sunday, October 26, 2008

Family Interviews


In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we have been encouraged as families to hold father's interviews.


Way back when we started doing this, I found a list of questions on a website; they were wonderful. Since that time, we've had our good, consistent times of interviewing our kids and our not so diligent times. I have misplaced the questions and can't find the website, so I've created some of my own.


We are just restarting this practice in our home with one on one interviews on Sunday afternoons. It's been so good for us that I felt I'd share the questions we now use for this purpose. I realized you don't have to be a member of the LDS faith in order to do this. This could really benefit any family.


  • On a scale from 1 to 10, how happy are you?

  • What could make you happier?

  • What are you willing to do to make our family happier this week?

  • Is anything causing you to be sad? If so, what?

  • What makes you happiest about our family?

  • What do you think could make our family happier?

  • Is there anything Mom or Dad can do to help you?

  • What is your main goal for the week? What can we, as a family do to help you reach that goal?

  • How many days this past week did you pray? Read scriptures?

The last question is to serve just as a reminder of it's importance and a chance to cheer or encourage.


It has also become that we have so many to interview that we share the responsibility.


Hope this helps you grow closer to your kids.


If you come up with additional questions, please share. Thanks!!!

6 comments:

Jeannie said...

I think that is a great idea!

<3
Jeannie

vaxhacker said...

Thank you! I've been thinking about this myself, and how I really think it would be a great idea, especially as K is moving into the teenage years now, but wasn't sure how to really get organized about what I should try to say. I want to keep it fairly open and conversational, as opposed to, you know, boom-da-da-doom.... time to be interrogated kind of Talk with Father. :) These suggestions really help!

Darilyn said...

Thanks for this.

Tonya said...

I love this idea. I am sure it makes the kids feel special and it's so important to know what's up with your kids. I will be talking to Matt about it. I think he will agree that it is something we should do in our family:0)

awesome said...

Thanks so much... I had a 'duh' moment...like...of course we should be doing this?!?! Can the questions be done retro-actively?!? J/K There are sooo many things I would do differently if I could start over again...but all is good and the personal chats with such a focus are on the agenda now!

L:ove it!
Jo

Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO WONDERFUL! I LOVE THAT IDEA!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...