Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Simple, Useful Recipe Book

I posted a little bit about this gift I made for my niece's bridal shower but thought I'd give a few more specifics. It was such a fun thing to give. It's also something you can make for yourself to keep your own recipes in.

First, I went to Target and purchased a little plastic photo album--the kind that you slide the photos into the plastic pages. I think these cost just a couple dollars. There are 36 pages, but you can also put things inside the front and back covers if you want to too (or pull the front cover out and print on the opposite side, so the stripes are on the inside and whatever you want is on the front). I wanted this kind because you can spill all over it as you cook and just wipe it up with nothing damaged.

The pages are 4"x 6", so I purchased plain, unlined 4"x 6" index cards.

I inherited my mom's recipe book when she passed away. She was a great collector of delicious recipes, and I wanted to share these with my niece as she began her own family. I decided just to put cookie recipes in this particular book as some of them were recipes she had made with my mom when she would come to visit as a little girl. I decided that later on, I would create more books--one with main dishes, one with breads, etc. and create a series for her to receive on occasions in the future.

I typed 36 pages worth of cookie recipes into my computer and created an alphabetical list of the recipes found in the book. I also found a photo of her with my mom to put on the front cover.

I purchased two cookie sheets, a spatula and a cookie scoop to give with the recipe book. For a wedding gift, I bought she and her new husband a cookie jar.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is a WONDERFUL idea!!!! i am going to do that sometime!!! thanks for sharing your creativity!!!! i need ALL the help I can get!!!!

Carla said...

Very smart! I can see MANY ideas coming from your post! Love the idea of giving this as a gift (with the extras)!

Grammy said...

That is such a wonderful thoughtful gift. I could see it become a family treasure to pass on recipes to the kids.Thank you for sharing your ideal.

The Garver Family said...

Thank you Julie. I went to Amazon.com and ordered the book you suggested. I can't wait to read it, judging from what you attached in my blog and in reviewing that I think that I can learn a lot from it.

You are so full of great ideas and that recipe book is absolutely fantastical. :)

When you have a bit of time, let's get together so we can discuss some more couponing. I'm available this week or next, whenever you have time. :)

Tara said...

So Cute!!! Love it! Very creative...now why didn't I think of that already?? :O)

Crazymamaof6 said...

awesome idea. thanks for sharing.

ok i have to ask how you found me! we have so much in common it's crazy!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I get a cook book too, right? I'm no newlywed, but I am your niece! ; )
Would love to get my hands on Grandma's recipes... Love you!! (did I mention you're my favorite aunt EVER!?) teehee

Anonymous said...

I use a 3 ring binder w/sheet protectors. It works great.

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

That's such a great idea for a gift! I need to try this. Thanks for contributing to Homemaker Mondays and I'll see you next week!

Rachael said...

I would love some of your favorite recipes. I just have mine in regular notebooks in the plastic sleeves. I have a book per category too. My kids have their own books, but they can't add things to them until they have actually made them. I love having my recipes on the computer so I can just print them or e-mail them. I put them all on google documents too so that I can get to them where ever I am.

Bambi and Jack said...

Julie,
You are brilliant! What a fabulous idea! Due to the economy a group of us are exchanging "homemade" Christmas gift ideas. I hope you don't mind if I share yours. I promise not to take credit for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...