Friday, October 3, 2008

72 Hour Kits

Well, this is it. The big unveiling.

We put 72-hour kits together for our family about a year ago. The plan was to open them if we hadn't used them by the next General Conference and eat the stuff out of them during the sessions. At that point, the next Conference was so close that it seemed silly to drag the stuff out then. So, I'm a little fearful of what will emerge from the kits. The kids are excited.

I know the clothes we pull out for T will be tiny. I'm thinking I may drag my kids to Goodwill sometime soon and give them a budget in order to buy some clothes that won't be so desirable that they're missed if they're sitting in a bag for six months and also won't be so ugly that they're afraid to wear them if a disaster were to strike. Can't you just see it? "Sorry honey, flood's coming, get those ughhhhly jeans on!" "But Maaaahhhm..."

I also need to go out and buy replacements for the kits. I'd better get moving on this. Does anyone out there have any great ideas for 72-hour kits? What do you put in them that lasts and still tastes good after six months? How do you pack them so they are totable?

5 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

When my kids got home from school they were excited to see the old 72-hour kit stuff on the table for them to try. But one taste of the granola bar and it was in the garbage. Same with the Starburst. The snickers bar got eaten though, as well as the fruit snacks.

I need to add matches and a sterno, I think...

Kaci said...

Goodnees I have no idea! :) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

i don't know! but i went through ours recently and everything was OUTDATED!
i need to get our 72 hours kits together in a major way!

Rachael said...

I have some of the same ideas, check them every Oct. One of the things that have helped is getting a RED pair of sweat outfits for everyone at Target. Red is a neutral color for both boys and girls and could be easily handed down from one child to the next. I bought these great rolling luggage backpacks. I have the 72 hour kits in them in a big garbage bag. When we go on vacation they take out that bag and pack and just replace it when we are back home. I keep these in the garage on one of those great metal racks you can get at Costco (the shelf tech systems). I have hooks hanging off of the shelves for the kids to store there school backpacks and coats so that it was still useful. (I have some other ideas that have worked but obviously have written more than your own post. AHHH)

Dolly said...

Thanks for the reminder about 72 hour kits! We'll work on ours for FHE tomorrow :) Love your layout and music!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...