Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dishes? In Control

Sat at breakfast this morning and chatted with the family about the minimizing of things.  We discussed the idea that everyone have their own dishes.  We pack the others away in the hutch for when we have company, but for everyday use, we each use our own.  After each meal, we hand wash our own and then at night throw them in the dishwasher to be washed overnight.  There was plenty of room for discussion, but everyone was on board.  I think part of that was the fact that every seven weeks, you find yourself doing the dishes, which up until now  has been the WORST job as far as the kids are concerned.  With the dishes down to only what is needed, dishes will be a breeze.

So, tonight, I thinned the dishes down to what we need.  We have a completely empty shelf in the cupboard and a completely empty drawer.  You know when you get a haircut and go from long hair to short?  Well, that's how this feels.  I feel lighter.  Ahhh.  So lovely.

This is still just an experiment.  I don't know how it's going to go, but I will tell you, the only problem I've run into so far is that I have lost my sandals twice.  They've been in the house, but I haven't put them in the right place.  In the past, I would have just grabbed another pair, but I don't have another pair, and I don't want to wear my heels or my tennis shoes, so it's kind of caused a bit of a scramble.  That'll teach me to put my shoes in front of the sliding back door, won't it?

3 comments:

Toni Moxley said...

Well at least you discussed it with everyone and gave them the option. When I was a kid my mom got sooooo mad she hid all the dishes except 1 plate, etc for each of us. So when our friends came over we have to ask our siblings if our friends could "borrow" their stuff! It was miserable and luckily it didn't last long! Good luck and I am sure your idea will work out better!

Alyson said...

I'm really anxious to hear how the dishes goes...

Tonya said...

i like that you are experimenting with simplifying life.

i don't know that i could handle less clothes and shoes right now. i'm a fashion luvin' kind of girl!

but i do like the dishes idea. that's super smart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...