Thursday, September 29, 2011

Madhouse Munchings: Meatless Chili

Today's going to be a very busy day.  I'll be delivering cookbooks.  #7's going with me.

If you didn't get a cookbook and want one, message me.  I'm out for now, but I have a very small stash that I'll open up to any takers in a couple weeks.  I'll let you know when that is when the time comes. 

For tonight's dinner, I'm going to throw something in the crockpot.  Something SUPER easy that you just throw a bunch of cans in and voila.  Because of today craziness, it's got to be something that can either simmer on low all day or be put in the crockpot and cook up fairly quickly.  For today, it'll be the second. 

I'm going to go vegetarian for tonight.  Truth be known, we went through that Costco ground beef WAY faster than I would have liked, and I don't want to do chicken again, so I'm thinking a good soup with beans in it'll have to be dinner for tonight.  If you don't want to go meatless, just brown some ground beef and throw it in with the rest.

Ingredients

  • 1 can black beans
  • 2 cans of beans (pretty much any kind--I wouldn't use green beans), rinsed and drained.  I'm using great northern and garbanzo beans.  I wanted to use red beans, but I can't find them, and I'm not a big fan of kidney beans, so that one's out too.  I seem to have a scad of great northerns, so in they go.
  • 1 can baked beans.  I'm using Bush's original
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can tomato paste
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3Tbsp. chili powder
  • 2 Tbsp cumin
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste (I usually go light on salt in the crockpot.  It's one flavor that seems to grow as it simmers)
 Cook on low for about four hours.


I'm actually going to throw everything into the crock, cover it and set it in my fridge.  When I get home, I'll get it cooking.  I'm also going to get my bread machine going when I get back, so we can have some rolls with this.  A friend gave me a recipe for bread bowls, but I haven't used it EVER.  She says it's super easy, but I'm intimidated.  I'm going to work on psyching myself up to that today.  Maybe we'll serve this chili in bread bowls.  If I do it and if it's successful and if I can get my friend's permission, I'll share that recipe later on.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just thought I would tell ya that we are trying your Conference Doughnut holes this time. Thanks for the idea...

Hesses Madhouse said...

YAY! Those are da' bomb! I hope you love them. Let me know what you think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...