Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It's Just a Phase...Right?

Does anyone else out there ever feel like everybody else out there really dislikes you?

Well, I'm going through a phase like that.  To be honest, I go through this phase sometimes, but it's been awhile.  I didn't miss it, so I'm not all that eager to welcome it back.  But alas, thus it is.

I decided to go out of my way on Sunday and talk to the woman in the ward who dislikes me the most.  This is not just an "I think she doesn't like me" thing.  She TRULY doesn't like me.  Truly.  It's been no secret.  She's told others how much and why.

I guess Sunday I decided to turn the other cheek and do good to those who hate me.  She was sitting alone, looking miserable.  I try to at least say hi every time I see her so that she knows there are not similar feelings on my part

Funny, but ever since then, I've felt yucky.  I feel like I should be out eating worms or something.  She didn't even really say anything.  She didn't have to.

Then, this morning, I opened my email and found this from my friend Grace:

Today someone asked me if I liked you.
I laughed, and I said,
"Ha!That's funny!! I freakin' LOVEthat girl!!  She's funny, caring, crazy as heck, sweet, beautiful, she's reading this email right now & I love her!!"


I know this is one of those chain emails, but I needed it this morning.

Thank you Grace!!!

8 comments:

Alyson said...

I like you!

Matt Gold said...

I more than like you. I LOVE you. You are one of my most favoritist peoples. Really.

And you did the right thing by turning the other cheek. See, you are good, Christ like and full of love and compassion for others. Your feelings right now are coming from a very bad man. Don't listen to him. He's a tricky one.

You are awesome, Julie Hessenstein!

Darilyn said...

Oh, Julie. I love you. I am laughing because I also ALWAYS delete email chains and never forward them on. But I received this one last night and sent it to Grace! Hahaha! I just loved it and was thinking to myself, hm, who wouldn't care if I sent an email chain to them? I just had to pass this one on. You are the best. We will always have people in our lives that don't like us. always. That's because not every personality will click together. But you are doing the right thing but turning the other cheek and moving on. Just keep saying Hi. That's what the Savior would do. You don't need to do more than that. You will be blessed for your actions.

Alesha said...

I just want you to know that I still think of you just about everyday, even though I have not seen you for a very long time now. I always felt like I was always learning something from you. With you having 7 and I having 6 I learned how to handle them, by watching you those 4 years that I was lucky enough to have you that close to me and as my friend. As I read your blog you always amaze me more. Thank you for always teaching me to be a better mom, a better friend, a better wife, and just a better person!

vaxhacker said...

I've struggled with this a bunch of times too, so I can sympathize entirely. It's reassuring when friends tell you that they really do like you, but it's frustrating, too, when despite that, you are internally saying, "Yeah, but... nobody else..." and all that wonderful self-defeating stuff we do to ourselves.

It's been hard for me to eventually come to grips with the fact that not everyone's going to like me, and in fact there's probably going to be a person or two who just really can't stand me at all. It would be nice to think that maybe my list of fans will get above 2, but you know, having a small group of true friends is better than a hundred acquaintances who wave at you as you walk past but don't really care to spend time talking to you.

But I'll say it anyway... the Hess family, and you and the warden in particular, are people I value highly as just good, real, quality people who I am very glad to know as friends.

LeAnn said...

Oh do I relate to this one. I have a sweet dear sister that was mad at us for a while when we first moved in because apparently we took over their pew. I apoligized and she does speak with me; but I always feel she doesn't really like us.
I too love it when someone sends some email that I can use for the day. Perhaps it's a prayer answered in a way.
Blessing to you and enjoy the moments!

Patrick and Paige said...

I ADORE YOU IN EVERY WAY!!!! I look up to you and strive to be the kind of mother that you are. I feel truly blessed to have re-united with you at this stage in my life. Thank you for being you and being AWESOME! LOVE YOU!

Hesses Madhouse said...

Thank you for all the nice things you've said. I am truly blessed to have such good friends who lift me up when I'm down. THANK YOU! I love you right back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...