Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Madhouse Munchings: Chicken Nachos

Okay, here's the scoop for tonight....

Ingredients:

  • tortilla chips
  • chicken, cooked and shredded (if you are my friend on facebook, and you did what I did, use the chicken you cooked in the crockpot the other day.  If you're not my friend on facebook, put a whole chicken in the crockpot with a cup of water, put the lid on, and turn it on high.  It's done when the limbs pull away from the body easily.  Let it cool and pull the meat off.)
  • 1/2 jar salsa or 1 taco seasoning packet and water
  • 1 can refried beans
  • green onions
  • chopped olives
  • cheddar cheese, grated
  • salsa
  • sour cream

Instructions:
Layer the tortilla chips on a cookie sheet or pizza pan.  Sometimes, I do them on regular kitchen plates because it says the plates can handle a certain amount of heat.
I'm all about choices, so the next part has a choice involved.  You can either do it my way or layer the chips with the beans and then layer the seasoned chicken on top. 
Here's how I do it:
In a large skillet, put shredded chicken and the salsa (or if you use the seasoning mix:  after you sprinkle it over the chicken, refill the little package with water and pour that over).  Simmer until most (if not all) of the liquid has evaporated.  Pour in the refried bean and mix with the chicken.
Blob the chicken mixture over the chips as evenly as you can, and yes, "blob" is as scientific a term as I could conjure up for what you're going to do with this.  Attempt to spread the stuff around, but good luck.  You might want to do very small blobs all around the chips for best results.
Top with the green onions and olives and pretty much anything else you like on nachos.
Sprinkle with cheese and place in a 350^ oven until the cheese is melted.
Serve with sour cream and salsa.


Again, a special thanks to the Warden for the green onions.  What is it about veggies straight from the garden that makes them so much more flavorful?

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Alyson said...

Whether you double this or not, I'm astounded that a single can of refried beans does it for ya. My fam eats 6 cans in a single meal. But then, we're not adding the chiken. Or the cheese.

Hesses Madhouse said...

Oh, because our situation where we live tends to be kind of freakish, I thought I'd write this post like a normal person would. It's becoming more and more of a stretch to try to remember just what "normal" is, but for those who have "normal" families, this is the recipe I'd go with.

Now, if you're freakish like us, you would double or even triple this recipe. With the number of teenagers I have in my home at this point, I'm sure quadrupling won't be out of the question in the very near future.

Maybe I should clarify these kinds of things from here on out.

Linda said...

A blob is like a dollop, only bigger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...