Saturday, July 16, 2011

Cake

As I'm going through recipes to include in the cookbook, I have put a number of my mom's recipes in with the thought that if my mom were still alive, she'd support this effort any way she could.  She was amazing like that.


Another person who would support this effort was Carlene Okimoto, my first companion (for more on her, click her name).  She was Hawaiian.  The home she lived in growing up was directly across the street from the Laie Temple.


What would it be like to wake up every morning and see this outside your window?

One thing Okimoto Shimai was known for was her "island love," as they called it.  I quickly learned what they meant.

She, nearly every morning when we had a discussion that day, would get up bright and early (and for a missionary, that means SUPER early), and make a large cake for those we were teaching.  I remember she would put different things on top--sometimes a cinnamon and sugar mixture, like coffee cake, but much of the time pineapple; to be expected from a Hawaiian, don't you think?

She would cut the cake into fourths, wrap it in plastic wrap and carefully place it in her pack, so she could gift it to them upon our meeting.

I found her cake recipe today.  It's going into the book.  I love the memories this endeavor is bringing back.  Life is good!  So grateful for a life full of good people!

2 comments:

Oyama Family said...

seriously Julie, I know I have told you many a times...but you are my hero (one of my choice few)-I truly do want to be like you "when I grow up" :) Thank you for being you! I am SO looking forward to this cookbook, and I will treasure it for sure.

Wanna Be Balanced Mom said...

Wow, that WOULD be a nice view to have. Beautiful temple.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...