Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer Goals

In the past week, I've taken a bit of time to sit down with each of the kids and create some goals for the summer.  It's been very eye-opening.  There's everything from run 300 miles to drive 100 hours to learn to ride a bike.

Each child came up with five goals.

We took those goals and cut them down into bite-sized pieces and places those pieces on a spreadsheet.  The goals are listed and each column on the sheet represents one of those goals.  Down the far left column are listed the dates until Labor Day, and in the next column, the days of the week.

Each day has a few baby steps to accomplish.  Even as simple as "find scout book."

By the time September 5th rolls around, we should have two kids ready for drivers licenses, one ready to do his Eagle project, one earning his wolf badge, one earning his 11-year-old scout, a Young Womanhood recognition award, a very clean garage (hmm.  I wonder whose goal that is), some better readers, one class finished for me and the last one started, and a whole bunch of other things.

It's going to be a great and productive summer.

6 comments:

Julia Shinkle said...

I love all of it...

Setting goals is the first step to success! I am a fan of the spreadsheet as well and little boxes to check off as I go! Sounds like fun!

Tonya said...

Sounds productive!!! I hope hanging with the Golds fits in there somewhere:)

Unknown said...

You are so organized.. Makes me need a nap girl!!

Heart n Soul said...

wow...what a great idea. It really is awesome when kids see their goals achieved. So inspiring!

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea! You are just full of ideas for me to implement with my son. Thank you!

Happy Independence Day Hesses Madhouse. I hope you all enjoy a great day with each other, sharing and caring. =)

Jo Tapasa said...

LOVE this idea! Thanks for being such an inspiration to me! We share so many common interests...I just love "picking your 'blog'" for more ideas on how to be a better mom.
Hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...