Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bring on Summer!

Some of our summer plans have been set. Amazing to think that school will be out in less than two months. Usually, almost instinctually, I start laying out all the nitty gritty what to do with the kids when they're out of school plans in May. I can't wait!

Okay, so another quirky little fact about me is that I love to do all the free stuff that is offered during the summer. I think it comes from being my mother's daughter. My mom knew how to use a coupon like no one else I ever met (except for maybe Teresa Medina). She loved a bargain. I don't know where that originated from except for maybe the fact that my dad was self-employed and my mom did it to make money stretch farther during times when my dad's business was slow.

I also love to run around. I hate being home. I always want to be doing something. I feel like if my kids are sitting around the house they must be bored, and I want summer to be a time for making fun memories. One thing my children will remember about me when they move out, one of the things they'll probably say, "I'm never going to do that like my mom did," is that if they're sitting around, I give them work to do. It's almost a compulsion on my part. My upbringing wasn't this way, so I don't know where it comes from, but I know they hate it.

So, today, I made reservations for our hotel room for the Hamm family reunion. This is our third year to have it. Our (the Hess) family missed it the first year as we went to Zan's uncle's funeral in Idaho, but last year was a blast! We go to Seaside. This year, my sister's daughters and their families will be there also, which will be really fun. It's been a long time since we've seen any of them.

We stay at the Inn at Seaside. We stay there for COSA each June also, when Zan goes for their yearly conference. We have for the past three years. So, staying there for five times, and reserving one of the few two-bedroom suites, the woman who makes the reservations has come to be somewhat familiar. Today when I spoke with her, she asked my name, I told her, she said, "Oh, Julie, how are you?" Just like an old friend. We chatted for awhile.

When we were on the phone, I double checked our reservation for COSA. We couldn't remember if we'd made one. We had. Zan's been trying to talk his way out of going this year. He says he has too much going on with work and with taking a week off to keep the kids, so I can go to Girls' Camp, he says he can't possibly miss that much work. So, we'll see what happens. I just know it's something that we look forward to each year. Very fun family time.

So, so far, school gets out, the next week is COSA, the next week is Girls' Camp, and the next week Quinlan's off to EFY. Fourth of July will be in Monmouth--another tradition we love (if you have any desire for a fun old-fashioned 4th of July parade, let us know, we'll take you along). Can't wait to get going on all of this!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...