Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Donut Holes

For Wednesday evening's joint YM/YW activity, the Mia Maids are in charge. We decided on Sunday at our presidency meeting that we'd probably better have some refreshments available, so I pulled out the old stand by--donut holes.


My mom used to make these for us when we were kids. We make them every year when General Conference rolls around. Z loves them. The kids love them. I'm almost embarrassed by how easy they are. They are a real WINNER!

Tonya asked me to share my "recipe" with her, so she could help me make them for the activity. I've actually had quite a few people ask for the recipe when I've brought them to firesides and other activities over the years, so here it is for all of you.

You get a package of homestyle biscuits--the ones in the round tubes, in the refrigerated section in the store, that pop when you peel back the paper from the outside. You separated the pieces and cut them into fourths. We've also flattened out the dough for "scones." As you're cutting the dough, you get a few cups of oil heating on the stove. Just to be a little healthier, I use canola oil.

--Here's a little tip from my mother by marriage: In the oil, put about five kernals of unpoped popcorn. When the kernals pop, the oil is warm enough, and you can turn the stove down to medium. Oh yeah, don't forget to remove the popcorn.--

After the oil is ready, drop a few of the pieces of dough into the oil and let them cook until golden brown. If the heat is too hot, the outside of the dough will brown too quickly and the inside will stay doughy, so be careful. Adjust the heat accordingly. I've noticed that sometimes the donuts will turn themselves over, if they're not too crowded in the pan, when one side gets done cooking; if not, watch them and turn as needed.

Move the donut holes from the oil to a plate covered with a double layer of paper towels to drain the oil. Let them cool just enough so that they won't burn your hands. When they've cooled, place a number of them in a large, gallon-size ziploc bag with a cup or so of either powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar, zip it up, and shake away. When they're coated with the yummy stuff, place them on a plate and serve.
These are also great for a quick Family Home Evening treat. Give 'em a try, and let me know what you think.

7 comments:

Rory Baxter said...

We LOVE doughnuts at our house - we will for sure give this a try!
It is fun to find another treat recipe using the refrig biscuits (we use them to make cheater cinnamon rolls that my kids LOVE) -will trade you recipes if you want -k- LMK

Hesses Madhouse said...

Ooooh, yes!!! Please share!

Darilyn said...

oh Julie, this is bad, real bad. My most favorite guilty pleasure is doughnuts. In any shape and size. I will definitely be making these.

Anonymous said...

YUmmmmm Yummmmm!!!!!! i want SOME!!!

vaxhacker said...

I got to taste a couple after the meeting. Yummy!

Alyson said...

Yum. This is how we always used to make scones because my mother was not a bread dough person. I, however, am a bread dough person and so I haven't thought of deep-frying instant dough in the longest time. I bet they're yummy!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Looks so yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...