Monday, September 29, 2008

This Week - What I'm Looking Forward To

Here's what lies ahead for this week:


  • Apples

I have a tree outside by bedroom window that is overflowing with apples. Before this window existed, I would forget about this tree because it was out the side of the house, and until last year, there were no windows there. Now, I love sleeping with the window open. I can hear the apples drop. Well, this is the week. Wednesday, I'm going to climb the tree and get as many apples as I can. It will then be time to make and can applesauce and pie filling. I wasn't raised by "pioneer" people. My mom was a convert to the church, I kind of figure canning is an LDS tradition from those who have learned generation after generation. So, it's still something I'm learning to do.

The only thing that scares me about this undertaking is that this same tree, many years ago, had a beehive somewhere near it. When B was about 18 months old, he was running out with the kids in the yard, got too close to the tree, and about seven bees stung him that day. It didn't help that he had a very sweet smelling dirty diaper on. They got down into the diaper and stung him on the rump a number of times. Poor little guy. I remember getting him up on the deck and yanking his clothes off him as fast as I could while trying to get the bees to back off. So, needless to say, I'm just a little nervous about the bees on Wednesday, so be praying for me, okay?

  • Girl Scouts

DJ has been waiting to get into a Girl Scout troop forever. I did Girl Scouts with Q, but we have just not been lucky enough to find the right troop for DJ...until now. This week, we get to venture out and get her vest and the beginning badges. I'm very excited for her. Sounds like this troop is very active with field trips etc. She's looking forward to a trip horseback riding on Halloween.

Team trophies

I am the team mom for B's soccer team. I've never done this before. I've planned an end of season party once. That wasn't a big deal, so I volunteered this year to do this. I've got to get over to the trophy shop and get something figured out for the boys.


  • VTing

With soccer season going on, we have practices every night of the week. It's hard to find a time to go visiting teaching. This Wednesday, after Mutual, we're going--October 1st. I really love going; it's just a challenge right now.

  • Coupon shopping

I had so much fun grocery shopping last week. I saved a bundle using coupons. I was excited to have the Sunday paper arrive at my house. I recycle all but the ads. I'm looking forward to clipping the little money savers and filing them in my notebook. Thanks again Rebecca for all of your help. I really don't know all the great secrets yet, but I'm hoping to get a good andle on this soon. It's just fun to watch the money drop off the subtotal as those coupons are scanned. So fun!

  • ComedySportz

G's birthday celebration is Friday night. He's a BLAST of a kid. So funny and smart and athletic. So like his dad. I just love him to pieces! He chose to go to ComedySportz for his birthday this year. So, G, Z, G's good friend and his parents and I get to go. Z and I went there for a date once. It was so fun. Can't wait to go again!

G's birthday

G's actual birthday is Saturday. With soccer games, General Conference and his kindness in letting his sister party with her friends on his night, we decided to celebrate a day early. I'm sure he's not sad about getting his gifts a day early. We will have two teenagers in the house. I think I'm good with this. They're good kids.



  • Conference
  • We have the same struggle every year. We have games that overlap the Saturday morning session of Conference and get done just as the afternoon session starts. Ugh! We still have our DirecTV set up until mid-October, so it will be no problem recording it. If I had my druthers, we'd skip soccer for Conference and have in years past. I'm looking forward to making donuts for Sunday morning and having the food fest that we normally do. Thanks Rory for the Conference ideas for kids! I'm happy to share what she's shared with me if anyone's interested.

Q's party

Q was invited to the Homecoming dance. She said no and explained that she can't date until she's 16. She shared the "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet on her blog to help explain why. Instead, we decided to have a party with some of her friends. We're going to have pizza and a movie or games. We decided to go with "Penelope" (thanks for the ideas!) if we decide to do the movie but thought it might be more fun to get to know these kids a bit better. So, we might play games instead--"Do You Love Your Neighbor," "I've Never,".... If you have any other good game ideas, we're totally open and welcoming suggestions.


  • Clean carpets

In preparation for the party, I get to clean the carpets in my house. This has been a challenge--trying to find a time when the kids aren't going to be trooping all over them when they're still wet, but it has to happen. So after Wednesday's apple extravaganza, the carpets will get done. Wish me luck.

So, there you have it, the menial taks of my life. Other than these things, I look forward to hearing the new words Teagen comes up with; reading to Aedan while we wait for his bus to arrive; having my laundry all washed, folded and put away; watching my kids on the soccer field; listening to the wisdom of God as I watch Conference; walking my kids to school each day; and whatever else might come my way.

6 comments:

Tonya said...

Do you still want to borrow my water bath canner? I think I can be there by 11:00 if Eli can get on the bus with Aedan. Can I help supply stuff for apple pie filling? Are you just having everybody bring their own jars? Maybe we should just talk because I have LOTS of questions:0)

Darilyn said...

I think you need to call Tonya, she has a lot of questions. : )

I love, love, love that you and Z went to comedy sportz on a date. We love comedy sportz too!

And reading through all the things you are going to accomplish this week makes me tired but I love how you did it. I might steal your idea sometime.

vaxhacker said...

Yay for Comedy Sportz! One of my good friends performs there (hey, we all need hobbies)! Lots of fun.

Rory Baxter said...

Julie,

I was really disappointed with Penelope - it started with a really good "moral" but then completely contradicted itself in the end. Kiddos have enough of that in real life - prob ok to NOT teach that stuff from home too...

I was in charge of a large group activity last year for our ward - we played tons of games - I will see if I can find the ones we did and I will email those directly to you - will try to do that today (monday)
Sounds like you have lots on your plate but love your great enthusiasm and excitement about it all!
Be sure to post all the fun after all your adventure -k-

Anonymous said...

wow.... looks like a BUSY week ahead of you!

i wish i knew how to can....

The Garver Family said...

Do you know how wonderful you are? If you didn't you are and I thought I would tell you. :) Good luck with the canning. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...