Friday, September 5, 2008

Feeling Anxious

For the past few months, as I'd fall asleep some nights, right as I'd get to that blissful place that is right between wakefulness and sleep, I'd wake with a start realizing I couldn't breathe. The adrenaline would pump for a few seconds and I'd turn my head and soon be off to sleep. Last night was different, it happened about five times in the matter of about ten minutes. I couldn't figure out what was going on. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen before?



This morning, I have knots in my stomach like I'm really nervous about something. No matter what I do, it doesn't go away. Any thoughts? I went ahead and made a dr's. appointment for next Wednesday, so we'll see what they say. I'm just wondering if it's all in my head.

3 comments:

Ben and Heidi said...

Do you sleep with your arms above your head? I know that when I do that, it's like I'll try to wake up and can't. I can't move the upper part of my body so I just make sure I've at least got one arm down below my head. Anyway, kind of strange, I know.

Rory Baxter said...

it sounds possibly like a form of sleep apnea...a friend here in the ward has that and has ended up with a breathing machine at night to help...hopefully your dr. can help you get things figured out.
Maybe try to set in place a relaxing night routine just for you (I know a crazy thought as I am also the mom of a house full of kiddos). Maybe try some things that are relaxing to you - a bath, book, warm milk, etc right before bedtime. See if that helps between now and your dr. appt?
I know I am one to also struggle with sleep - or the lack of it - every night. Sometimes my night routine helps and sometimes it doesnt but it is maybe worth trying?
LMK how it goes and for sure post about your dr appt. I am thinking about you and hope all goes better.

vaxhacker said...

Yes, I've had those too... sometimes from some kind of anxiety, but most of the time because of my sleep apnea. The thing about the apnea, though, is that typically I don't notice it happening at all. (Other than just waking up 8 hours later feeling like I've barely slept at all.)

If it is apnea, though, that's a potentially serious condition you should at least have investigated. Zan could tell you if he's noticed anything like that in your sleep patterns, too. The most noticeable would be if you seem to suddenly stop breathing, struggle for breath, and then finally gasp a lungfull of air, over and over and over. In that condition, when you slip down into deeper sleep, your tongue falls down to completely block your airway (sort of like snoring taking to a really extreme level), and you end up being forced to come back up to a more shallow sleep level to correct it. Never letting you get rest. If that's it, the only thing would be to directly treat the apnea (realxing things won't help).

Of course it could be a zillion other things too, but it's probably best to get examined to be sure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...