Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Facebook Again

Okay, so one day I'm singing the praises of facebook, and the next day I'm running in the other direction. So, just a little explanation...

A couple weeks ago, I ran into an old classmate on classmates.com. I didn't want to pay the money to open the email he sent, so I wrote a message on classmates for him to sign up for facebook. Well, to make a long story short, it was super fun catching up with him, idle chit-chat and banter via email messages. I signed onto facebook to chat with one of my young women to discuss tonight's activity (we tried texting, but my text limit is coming up here pretty soon), and before she could even sign in, a chat window opened and it was this friend. Well, like I said, before that time, we had just sent messages, not real-time chatting, so now, here he was.

The conversation started out really fun with talk about the old days and me correcting him on song lyrics during a class in 8th grade (what a jerk I was), but before the conversation was over, he was telling me how he'd always had a crush on me (and still did). Ugh! He could NOT be saying this! I'm a happily married woman with six kids! No WAY! I was flattered but knew this had to end.

When Z got home from meetings I told him what had happened. Z's so funny. He had no real response. No freaking out. No look of disbelief on his face. All he said was, "Well, drop him as a friend, or get off of facebook."

I decided that just dropping him as a friend wasn't enough. Although facebook has been a blast as far as connecting with all kinds of people, I know I can use the time I was spending there on better endeavors.

So, I'm very sad to end it, but I deleted an number of my contacts and kept those I wanted to stay in touch with and told them they could find me here. Thank goodness for the blogging world. My goal is to be done with facebook by Friday.

How's that for one extreme to the other?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so unfortunate. I've had a blast commenting with you. But it won't stop there! I plan to see ya around the madhouse!! : )
Kudos for walkin' away. It really is the right choice. Now if only I can walk away from facebook...Sigh. Addictions, addictions....

Rory Baxter said...

good for you for stepping up to the plate and making the best choice - there are so many ways to stay in touch with real friends that you dont need to subject yourself to the garbage that might come through - or people who might not have the best intentions...
I am sure you will have tons of good friends from facebook visit your blog often and still keep in touch!

Emilie said...

Just came over here and read about what happened, Julie. What a bummer. I'm sorry it's gotten you off Facebook, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing in protecting your boundaries. I'll bookmark your blog and keep up with you that way.

Heidi said...

I'm glad for the explanation! I got your comment on Facebook and was curious why the change. It's a bummer that something like that can ruin something that can be so fun. I suppose that's the risk we take. You're smart to avoid a yucky situation. And thanks for including me as one of your many friends!

Anonymous said...

WOW...THAT IS EXTREME!!!

AND I HAD A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT ONE TIME AND HAD SOME FREAKOS HACKING INTO IT....SO I DELETED IT.

I LIKE BLOGGING BETTER. AND I AM GLAD TO BE ONE OF YOUR NEW FRIENDS!!!!!!!!

vaxhacker said...

Keeping your personal boundaries where you're comfortable with them is important. As someone who seems to do most of my keeping-up-with-friends in the blogosphere as well, I can certainly understand picking this over facebook :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...