Friday, September 12, 2008

Oh, and by the way, could you give me an A?

Took my final for Psych 320 - Child Psychology - yesterday. I have to pay $15 and go to a testing center for someone to proctor my exams. This particular class was not one of my faves. The text was really great for my insomnia, though.

I didn't study as hard as I normally would. There's just been too much going on. Night before last, I sat on the couch and was just about to head up to bed (9:20pm) and Zan turned to Quinlan and said, "Okay, I'll help you study that map now." Up to this point, Zan had been working long and hard on some stuff for his school, so I knew he probably wanted a break. So, although I probably should have been doing my own studying, I took Q with me,and we worked on memorizing countries from all over the world--I think there were 60 of them.

We had a blast. We discussed the idea that just memorizing where the countries were and what their names were just wasn't going to work, so we worked out a strategy as we went along. We came up with things like:

UGANDA go to the lake, RWANDA - because there's a lake right near both of these countries.
SLOVAKIA was too slow to grab a lot of land, so they're the little country right in the midst of the big ones.
NEPAL was a fun one. If you've ever watched the movie "The Golden Child" (not one I recommend; it's one of Zan's favorites. This does not in any way mean it's one of mine--subject for a future post), there's a part of the movie where Eddie Murphy raises his hands and shouts, "VIVA NEPAL. VIVA NEPAL. VIVA NEPAL!" When I asked Quinlan what country it was on the map, we both shouted this at the same time. We then spent a good while cracking up.

So, this study time was time well spent. But, it ddn't fill my need, so I spent a good part of the day yesterday studying. Each chapter had a little study quiz online that you could take over and over again because it was ungraded. These are what I studied; that was it.

Before I left for the test, I prayed that I would know what the right answers were. Well, my prayer must have been heard because as I went to each question, they were, most of them, the same questions for the quizzes. The midterm was not this way, so I was expecting to get in there and feel completely lost. I think among the sixty questions, there were about six that I wasn't completely sure of.

The exam took me less than thirty minutes. When I was done, I had a course evaluation to fill out with such questions as, how useful was the information provided by this course, was the work load appropriate for the amount of credit hours earned, that kind of thing. They also asked me to mark what grade I was expecting from this course. I cringed and marked a "B." I had earned 5 A's and 3 A-'s and one C+ (on that one, I took the quiz before I read the chapter--I don't advise this).

At the very bottom of the evaluation was the question, "Is there anything else you'd like us to know." I couldn't resist. I wrote, "I know I marked that I expect a B out of this class, but if you'd like to give me an A, please feel free:)."

So, now we'll see what happens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Good luck with your schoolin'...whew...after having kids i think my brain is plain ol' mush!!! and i like that you OFFERED him to give you an A if he wants to! :) Sounds like something I would have said!!!!

hahaaa!! Fo Shizzle!!!

and

I got your comment about the DIET DIVAS! I will add you in there! I just need your email address so I can email you an official INVITATION to the blog...then you can add posts, pictures, etc...anything and everything!!! ♥

just email me at smljcall (at) hotmail (dot) com

Darilyn said...

I'm impressed you knew enough about each of those countries to even be able to help Quinlan.

Tonya said...

I am amazed that you are working so hard in school. You are a busy Mom of 6 and are setting a great example for your kids to follow and how important education is. I love that you put your own studies aside to study with Quinlan. Family first, right? I love you Julie. You are such a great friend and a great person.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...