Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Grocery Shopping is Fun Again?

Wow! Not that grocery shopping was ever fun before, but my thanks goes out to Rebecca and all the people online that share great deals!

I went looking for a diaper deal a couple days ago. I had to look no further than another person's blog. I did a blog search with the words "diaper deals." Target had Huggies and Pampers on sale for $9.99 for a jumbo pack (approx. 30 diapers). I believe this same package usually costs $12.99. If you bought three, which I needed to stock up anyway, you got a $5 gift card for free. Not only that, but I had a $1.50 off coupon for each package. Yippeee!!! So, that was $25.47 for three packages of diapers plus an additional $5 to spend another time, so can I go so far as to say that I really spent $20.47? That may not sound like an outstanding deal to some of you seasoned shoppers, but considering how much time I've spent spending full price for whatever I bought for so many years, I'm thrilled to know there are other ways of doing things. I believe in this transaction I saved $18.50. If you're in need of diapers, this deal ends today.

I'm needing to grab a few more things for Thanksgiving dinner. In an earlier post, I shared that I'm only in charge of rolls, jam, a salad and a dessert. We tried out a recipe for rolls the other day, but I wasn't all that impressed with the results--yummy, but I'm out to impress, so we're trying another one this afternoon. I think I'm going to use my bread machine to mix up the dough. If this doesn't work well, Rhodes will be helping me out. You can't lose with them.

I decided to make a Turtle Cheesecake. I found the recipe in "A Taste of Home" magazine. I wanted to make something that no one could say no to. It's been so long since I've made a cheesecake that I'm hoping I didn't toss my springform pan.

My mother made a dip that we have every year. My father by marriage isn't a fan of onions, so I only make it for our family. This may sound selfish, but we're happy not to share. We LOVE it! So, I'm excited to get the stuff to make it. It's one thing that I look forward to the holidays for.
Okay, so here's the deal I'm most excited about today. This may sound silly, but cheese is so very expensive right now. It's around $9 for a 2 lb. loaf of Tillamook (our very favorite). Fred Meyer had a store coupon for $4.99, and I found an additional coupon put out by Tillamook for another $1 off. So, that's a $9 loaf of cheese for $3.99. WooHoo!!! I was hoping to double the coupon but was sad to find that it said it was not to be doubled. Sigh. I'll take the $3.99!

Oh, and Rebecca, you'd be proud of me, I'm getting frozen veggies for free! Actually, they're paying me .50 to take them off their hands. Nice of them, huh? It seems like I must be getting better at this because for the last few weeks, I've gotten at least one thing for free.

Thanks again to all of you who help my family out on a weekly basis. I'm really finding that every penny counts. I actually look forward to getting my deals all laid out and ready to go. I think it only took me about thirty minutes last night.

Oh, I decided that I'd go to WinCo first this morning and check out their shelf prices, get my produce and use any coupons that I have on stuff that I need that isn't on sale elsewhere and then go to Albertson's and buy the deals I'm aware of--including the blessed cheese.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Great deals and thanks for the heads up on pricing as I will be heading out for some afternoon Turkey-day shopping!

Kaci said...

Awesome deals! I'm unfortunetly going shopping tonight...wish me luck!

vaxhacker said...

Excellent deals! That class was really amazing.

The Garver Family said...

Way to go Julie! I'm so excited for you. I love getting things for free all the time, it just has a way of making your day. I never used to enjoy shopping, especially for groceries, but now I look at it more like a hobby than a chore and it's become quite entertaining. I went to Winco last night and got my produce for Thanksgiving and a lot of other items and spent $52.78, including another turkey that ended up costing only $2.41...so I was happy with that. It's a lot more than I would normally spend, especially at once. I'm so happy for you taking the time to figure this out, because saving money - in any way - truly does help.

Thanks for sharing.

Tonya said...

I actually get excited to look through the ad's now. Silly huh? We are saving so much money on our groceries. It really is exciting! I figured out the cheese deal too, and got mine yesterday. I still haven't figured out how to get anything for free. Maybe some day soon. But, point is we are under budget for groceries and have been able to stock up on our years supply too. AWESOME!

Jeannie said...

I think its time for us to start trying the coupon savings.:). Our family is a big fan of cheese too, I believe the same kind as you. WE go out faster when Jonathan was here. Last saturday we were at Alberston's and saw chesse for like $6 bucks and got two. The Fred Meyer's is always like $5 or something cheap like that there. now we have three 2lb things of cheese!

Have a great Thanksgiving and keep saving money!!:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...