Sunday, November 9, 2008

Easy Donuts (A redo of an old post - this time with pics)


My three little bakers. These are two of mine and my friend Tonya's son. Whenever Tonya's son comes over, he asks to bake. He likes the aprons he gets to choose from. I make new ones for my kids every other Christmas. I'll share this in another post if anyone's interested.


Here the boys are showing the ingredients they're going to use--biscuit dough, oil and a plate with paper towels on it.






The boys opened the packages and put the dough on a surfact to cut each biscuit into fourths. We like the little knives we use. They're kid friendly.





While they're cutting, I fill a pan with oil, turn on the stove to medium high, and put about three kernals of unpopped popcorn in it. When the popcorn pops, it means the oil's the right temperature to cook in. I take out the popcorn and turn the stove down to medium.









Here's what the dough looks like after it's cut and ready to be dropped in the oil.









Usually the dough turns itself over when it's brown on the bottom, but I've found that sometimes a few of the pieces need to be helped out.






While the donuts are cooking, prepare sandwich bag(s) (the zipper kind) with cinnamon and sugar mixture or powdered sugar.





When they are uniformly brown, remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels. If you're using powdered sugar, blot as much oil off as possible because it has a tendency to make the sugar gloppy. Let the donuts cool quite a bit.








Once cool, place a number of the donuts into the plastic bags.












Zip the bag closed and you can shake to your heart's content, or until the donuts are well coated.







These make wonderful Family Home Evening treats, or like in this case, you can just eat them straight out of the bag.












Oh so yummy and easy!











7 comments:

Bridget said...

What a fun-looking activity for the kids! I love the little aprons. I really need to learn to sew.....sigh....someday!

Anonymous said...

How fun! Thanks so much for sharing this idea. My kids will love it!

Darilyn said...

I've heard you mention this but didnt know how you did it. What a simple recipe for donuts. I'm gonna try that.

Rachael said...

I love this idea and will
Make them tonight. Thanks for sharing!

heidi said...

Gosh! This looks easy enough that *I* could try it! Of course, it does involve mass amounts of hot oil and I AM prone to burning this and starting fires, so I'll have to do it when Rob's home so I have adult supervision. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Rory Baxter said...

We LOVE doughnuts at our house. Thanx for sharing all the details about how you use the biscuit dough to make them!
Did I ever share with you our cheater cin roll recipe using the same biscuits? LMK if you want that recipe too -k-
Hopefully if I am lucky enough to win the family contest I can celebrate by helping the kids make doughnuts to their heart's content!

Jeannie said...

That is a great idea for little kids!! I bet they had loads of fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...