Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You Know Enough by Neil L. Andersen

"...Across the world, on every continent, in large cities and in small villages, we are a great family of believers. Together, we have begun our march toward eternal life. It is the journey of journeys. We go forward, taking upon us 'the name of Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end.'"

I definitely feel this way since this blogging journey has begun for me. I feel a fellowship and friendship with those whose blogs I read and those who read mine and comment. I have rekindled old friendships, built on already existing friendship and met people I never would have otherwise. This is such a wonderful, miraculous experience.

One other thing along these lines--about being "a great family of believers." I remember a number of years ago when we only had four children, Z and the kids and I went on the MAX train down to Saturday Market. We boarded the train, and it was so full that we were immediately separated. I had two children (the two youngest) and Z had the two oldest.

I stood in the aisle with the stroller as there was nowhere to sit. A man near me, who had that oh so familiar glow about him (you know what I mean) stood and offered me his seat. I told him I was fine, but he insisted. I took the seat, and in the next couple stops, another seat cleared, and he sat with us (his wife had been sitting across from me). After he sat, he said, "Are you a member of the Church of Jesus Christ?" I said, "Yes, if you mean that Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." He told me that was what he meant. He said, "I could just tell. You look like one." We continued our conversation. He was working for the Oregon Portland mission as a physician. It was a great conversation until B started to cry from the stroller. The man asked if he could hold him.

Without a pause, I unbuckled the stroller and gave this man, who not five minutes before had been a complete stranger, my baby. He held him and comforted him and our conversation continued. I realized that day the rapport we have with each other as this "family." What a great comfort this is.

Back to Elder Andersen's words, "While there are many experiences like the one we are having today, full of spiritual power and confirmation, there are also days when we feel inadequate and unprepared, when doubt and confusion enter our spirits, when we have difficulty finding our spiritual footing."

Oh man, is this guy talking to me or what?!

"Part of our victory as disciples of Christ is what we do when these feelings come."

I hope you will comment on this post and share how you deal with these feelings. I think we could all benefit from others' victories in this area. Sometimes we're strong and ready to handle things, and sometimes we're caught off-guard and need to regroup. So, what do you do?

Elder Andersen shares that when he was preparing for his mission, he felt inadequate in that he didn't know all that he needed to to go out and serve the Lord, as he prayed about it, he received the answer, “You don’t know everything, but you know enough!”

"Our spiritual journey is the process of a lifetime. We do not know everything in the beginning or even along the way. Our conversion comes step-by-step, line upon line. We first build a foundation of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. We treasure the principles and ordinances of repentance, baptism, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. We include a continuing commitment to prayer, a willingness to be obedient, and an ongoing witness of the Book of Mormon. (The Book of Mormon is powerful spiritual nourishment.)"

"We then remain steady and patient as we progress through mortality. At times, the Lord’s answer will be, 'You don’t know everything, but you know enough'—enough to keep the commandments and to do what is right. Remember Nephi’s words: 'I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.'"

Let's face it. There are times when we just feel less than we should, at least I think most of us do. I think I've finally come around to the idea that I need to be grateful for these feelings. They are my "scourge."

Here's what I mean. Remember in the Book of Mormon, when Nephi is promised that if his seed rebels against God, the seed of his brothers--the Lamanites--will be a "scourge" to stir them up in remembrance of God (2 Nephi 2:24)? I was reading this a few years ago. I love how the Book of Mormon comes alive with different things at the times that you need them most.

At that time, I was in a calling that was, for me, a piece of cake. I loved it, but it was so easy to just do it without thinking about whose work I was doing.

Right about the time I read this particular scripture, I had a new member join my group. This person became my scourge. I could not continue successfully in this calling without leaning on the Lord to learn how to serve this person in a way he needed to be served.

These feelings of inadequacy are there to remind us that we aren't complete without the Savior in our lives--daily.

"We each have moments of spiritual power, moments of inspiration and revelation. We must sink them deep into the chambers of our souls. As we do, we prepare our spiritual home storage for moments of personal difficulty. Jesus said, 'Settle this in your hearts, that ye will do the things which I shall teach, and command you.'"

I love that Brother Andersen says that "we must sink them deep." They don't just sink there on their own. How many times have I heard or read or seen something that has caught me straight in the heart? Those things that tell me, "There's a lesson in this for you. Pay attention." So, how do we react to these times? Do we sit up and take notice and make them sink deep?

Brother Andersen shares the experience of giving a blesssing to a man who had lost a daughter in a tragic accident. In this blessing, he shared these words, "'Faith is not only a feeling; it is a decision....Choose faith.'

"My friend did not know everything, but he knew enough. He chose the road of faith and obedience. He got on his knees. His spiritual balance returned.

"It has been several years since that event. A short time ago I received a letter from his son who is now serving a mission. It was full of conviction and testimony. As I read his beautiful letter, I saw how a father’s choice of faith in a very difficult time had deeply blessed the next generation.

"Challenges, difficulties, questions, doubts—these are part of our mortality. But we are not alone. As disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, we have enormous spiritual reservoirs of light and truth available to us. Fear and faith cannot coexist in our hearts at the same time. In our days of difficulty, we choose the road of faith. Jesus said, 'Be not afraid, only believe.'"

Although I hate trials and challenges as much as the next man, I can see the blessing in them. It is in these times that we can feel the help that comes to us especially for us from our Father in Heaven who knows us perfectly.

"Through the years we take these important spiritual steps over and over again. We begin to see that 'he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.'5 Our questions and doubts are resolved or become less concerning to us. Our faith becomes simple and pure. We come to know what we already knew."

I loved this little story from Brother Andersen. "Hadley Peay is now seven years old. Hadley was born with a very serious hearing impairment requiring extensive surgery to bring even limited hearing. Her parents followed with tireless training to help her learn to speak. Hadley and her family have cheerfully adapted to the challenge of her deafness.

"Once, when Hadley was four, she was standing in the checkout line at the grocery store with her mother. She looked behind her and saw a little boy sitting in a wheelchair. She noticed that the boy did not have legs.

"Although Hadley had learned to speak, she had difficulty controlling the volume of her voice. In her louder voice, she asked her mother why the little boy did not have legs.

"Her mother quietly and simply explained to Hadley that 'Heavenly Father makes all of His children different.' 'OK,' Hadley replied.

Then, unexpectedly, Hadley turned to the little boy and said, 'Did you know that when Heavenly Father made me, my ears did not work? That makes me special. He made you with no legs, and that makes you special. When Jesus comes, I will be able to hear and you will get your legs. Jesus will make everything all right.'

'Except ye . . . become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'
Hadley knew enough."

Don't you just love this story? I just want to express how grateful I am for those who help others feel special. Sometimes we all go through rough spots--times when we forget who we are and why we're here. I'm grateful for those who diligently strive to build and uplift. Thank you!

1 comments:

vaxhacker said...

Thanks for posting that. It's something I needed to read at this moment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...