Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight...My Honest Feelings

I went to the midnight showing of "Twilight" last night. I have to say that I wasn't disappointed. I actually really like the film and would go see it again in a heartbeat.

There were a number of things I didn't love about it. I didn't expect there to be so many hokey and silly things. I mean, what was up with Jasper's character? The first scene where Bella and Edward meet, Edward looks like he is seriously about to hurl. Did anyone else catch the part where Edward looks like he has white wings while sitting in the classroom? The first time he runs with her on his back wasn't at all realisitc, but it was all forgiveable to me, but I wonder if it should have been. Makes me wonder if I didn't love the book so much, or if I hadn't read the book, would I still have liked the movie as much as I did.

I was also sitting an a theater with a bunch of giddy teenage girls who, you could tell, were feeling the sexual tension in certain parts of the movie. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all riddled with sex, but as in the book, there is some amount of tension between Bella and Edward, which I believe is to be expected between two characters who care for each other so much.

All in all, I would say that this movie doesn't deserve its PG-13 rating. There was a mild scene of kissing and a violent scene near the end where they dismember and burn a fellow vampire, but you only get snippets of that.

I loved that this movie stayed so close to the book. I loved that it was filmed in a place that seems like my home does now--overcast and rainy. I love the relationship between Bella and Edward.

So, here's one thing that I have really pondered since reading the book and now am revisiting since seeing the movie....What is my fascination with the Bella/Edward relationship? He protects her and in some ways comes across as owning her. Is that really what I fantasize about? I'm just so drawn to that in Edward's character. She never suffers alone. He always pulls her out of the fixes she finds herself in. He saves the day. I didn't marry a man who pulls me out of fixes. He lets me figure them out and gives me as much freedom as any woman could want. I have always loved that about him, but this other side, this Edward thing is so enchanting. Couldn't I have that too? Does anyone else feel this way?

No, I didn't love Robert Pattinson in the role of Edward. He was, as Hugh Grant defines himself in "Notting Hill," "Squidgy around the edges." In parts of "Twilight," he was goofy. His expressions were overdone and almost melodramatic, but I was more than pleased with Kristin Stewart's portrayal of Bella. In a lot of the trailers, they took her voice from certain parts of the movie and overdubbed them into a different scene. Does this make sense? So, in the movie, it seemed to fit better when they put her voice in the right place saying the right thing. Having it all in context really helped my enjoyment of the film. I was especially impressed with her acting ability in the dance studio scene. She was believable. She made the movie for me.

I still love the book way better than the movie. I love the images in my mind and the feelings as I read "Twilight," but the movie is sweet and brings out good feelings.

Now, mind you, I am a teenager who never grew up and have this romantic side to me that won't quit, so I probably forgave way more than I should have, but I'd love to know what anyone else thinks as you see it.

11 comments:

Shauna said...

I can't wait to see it! Hey I hope you have an awesome weekend! Check out my blog to get your awards with l♥ts of l♥ve from me :) ♥ Hugs! :) Shauna
http://trying2staycalm.blogspot.com/

Darilyn said...

I'm with ya jules! I loved it. I did want to see some true sparkle though from Edward, not the beaded sweaty look that the movie gave him.

Krissy said...

LALALALAAAAAA- I'm NOT LISTENING!!!! lol I haven't seen it yet ... but I like your review. I'll be sure to let you know once I see it. And I WILL see it. lol

Jeannie said...

Yup thats pretty much what I got out of the movie! I totally agree with the Part in the Dance studio, even though I did have to look down a few times( blood parts) I think she did really well. At the beginning I think Edward also had a glare on his face too.
Well thats pretty much it.

Oh thanks for taking us! I had fun sitting and talking with you during the whole thing about the different parts,:). We should do stuff like that more often!! Oh Julie and I need to curl Q's hair sometime, she wanted us to, and we should try yours too, but it might be a little short still.

Love tons!!!

Vidal's Nest said...

Ok..I liked the movie.Just didn't love it! Weird things bothered me. Like Jacob's hair. Couldn't they pull it back into a ponytail or something?
And I thought Edward didnh't show enough emotion. He wasn't angry enough, passionate enough. I love how protective and strong he came off in the book but it was lacking in the movie.
TONS of teenagers! I was odd man out! I took my daughter and all her friends.
All in all still a fun movie but I do like the book better. Can't wait to see the next movie!

The Garver Family said...

I am going tomorrow night. I really like Rob Pattinson, so I'll have to see if I agree with his version of Edward. And I just don't know what it is about Edward that I find so desirable either. I agree 100% with what you feel like about him and your husband (er...not that I feel that way about your husband, but mine rather) and how they are so different, but you can't decide how you desire both at the same time...it's really weird. Jon is the same way though, he let's me figure things out for myself, but will steer me in the right direction if I get too far off base.

I truly love the books and am so glad you introduced them to me! Thanks Julie! :)

Jen said...

I've been having fun on Facebook and in the blogging world reading everyone's reactions to the movie. Most of them have been positive. I haven't seen the movie yet. I made a date to wait next Saturday and I'll keep that promise! Uh, maybe. Hehe. I'm a romanticist at heart and Edward ALWAYS had my heart strings throughout the book. I liked him because he was mature, decisive, smart, loving, and giving, and incredibly romantic. Can't wait to see the movie!!

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Thanks for your review! I might go tonight, but haven't decided(I am starting to get reclusive in my pregnancy). My mom and sister went at midnight too-- crazy gals! They liked it.

vaxhacker said...

Thanks for the review. And I think your feelings about relationships are more common than you think.

I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and see this movie first and then read the book, or go the other way around.

Alyson said...

I saw it yesterday (Friday) evening with my hub and again this afternoon with my two eldest. In the books I was pretty completely (totally, embarrassingly...) drawn to Edward, too. I have to confess my relief that when it came to watching the movie, it was Charlie I got the movie crush on. :)

I liked it, too. I loved the scene where Bella went home with Edward. I thought the Port Angeles evening was even better than in the book. I thought that they did a good jot translating it to screen.

I'll tell you what I like about Edward/Bella; yes, I think there's some of the knight in shining armor aspect there for me, but what I like best is a man hopelessly in love. Like, powerlessly in love. It's also the same thing that draws me to my favorite book of all time Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, though in that one as in this we don't get to see the hero's thought patterns, only his brooding and the long-awaited result as he confesses his feelings most charmingly. That's what I want, I guess, even more than someone to rescue me: I want someone who is so in love with me that he can't breathe when I'm out of the room. Or, well, something sort of like that. ;)

vaxhacker said...

I'm glad I'm not the only teenager who refused to grow up, too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...