Thursday, November 13, 2008

Taming the Beast - How I'm Learning to Live With a Two-Year-Old Again


A few weeks ago, I blogged about taking T's aya (binky) away from him and how easy it was.


Scratch all that, would you?


After taking it away from him, his sweet little personality changed almost overnight. I had awakened the beast. There was no turning back. Ugh!!! Run for your LIVES!!!


I think we went for a couple of weeks aya-less, and then T found one somewhere in the house. Z, who doesn't live with the beast during the day, was relentless; but okay, you got it, I caved. I was hoping to send the beast back to where he came from with the granting of a magical aya, but oh no, this was not to be. The beast remained, and now, I had caved, AND I got the distinct joy of living with this creature everyday. Gotta love those double blessings.


Now, mind you, he's not a living terror. He's still the sweet little boy I once knew; I can still see him in there, but he is quite a bit more active and harder to contain. The word, "No" has emerged as a staple in his vocabulary. This just does not fly in my world. I have strong feelings about children and respect, but I think this can be taught in loving ways. I feel that as it is shown to them, they will learn to return it. Mind you, I'm working on all of this, and this is just me writing down what I'm thinking as I go along.


Today I decided, would be the end of the beast. I have taken command again, and he will not continue the habits he's started to display if I can do anything to help it. I kind of feel like Annie Sullivan when she started out with Helen Keller. Okay, maybe not quite that bad, but there is a point of comparison for you.


Here's how things are playing out so far this afternoon. At this point, T has just enough ablities to be dangerous. I started to take his shirt off him as he had spilled yogurt down his front at lunch but stopped myself knowing that that is something he could totally handle himself. What's the famous adage? "Never do for a child what that child can do for himself."


I showed him the yogurt and said, "Oops. Look at this. What do you think about this?" His response was, "Ewww." I asked him what he thought he should do about it. He started to take his shirt off. I had to help him a wee bit as he got it caught trying to take his arms out. Once we got it off, he took it upstairs to the laundry room. I didn't have to say a thing. The beast knew proper protocol; there was a glimmer of hope!


Once he got into his room, as we were heading for naptime, he started to pull his pants down. They were at about mid-thigh when he started to undo his diaper. I said, "Oh, okay, you want a diaper change? Please go grab me a diaper." He stood there and stared at me. I said, "Oh, you're going to go potty?" He worked to get the pants off the rest of the way and headed for the bathroom.


After a few moments, I realized that he was too short to get himself up on the toilet, so I hurried to the bathroom to prevent any further damage he might add to that done in moments of my absence. As I walked in, he was standing there holding the flusher down with one hand and grabbing bits of toilet paper to throw in with the other. I asked him to please stop flushing, but he seemed to be concerned that the newly added piece of paper wasn't going down, so he continued to hold onto the flusher. I finally walked over, realizing I was being ignored (does he not trust me?) and took his hand off the flusher, telling him that I would take care of it later.


We walked back to the bedroom.


After a story, which he chose; and a song, which he also chose; he was finally down for his nap, and I realized that he just has to know that I'm ultimately in charge. That's the bottom line. He can have choices in my kingdom, but he is merely the court jester, not the king or even the chief bull-goose looney (that would be his father--don't worry, I'm not insulting him here, it is merely the position he has chosen for himself), those roles are taken; we will take care of him; his needs will be met; we can be trusted; but, baby, get ready to do what it takes to exist under my regime. Ooo, "regime," not a good word. Thesaurus.com offered me "dynasty" I like that one.


So, in a nutshell, here are the rules I've created for myself:


  1. I'm the mom and am the ruling body in my house. I have to remember this.

  2. I should be respected as such, but I must also be the example of how to show respect.

  3. "Never do for the child what he can do for himself." Let him have as much control as he can handle.

  4. I should give my child only the choices that I can live with. Those choices should be both advantageous for him--not a good choice and a bad one to manipulate him.

  5. I must be an active participant. I can't sit back and allow him to build bad habits and reinforce them for himself daily. I've got to be up and doing.

  6. I have responsibility to teach him appropriate actions and words and undo the bad habits by teaching correct ones.

  7. At first, changing these habits might be painful for him, but that's exactly how I feel when I learn that the way I've been doing things is wrong, and my will is changed. Sometimes it seems that the more painful the consequence, and the more pleasant the right way, the less likely he will be to repeat the bad habit and adopt the good. So, let him make the bad choice, let him feel the result and then teach him the better way. (Unfortunately this is where I failed to begin with. I should have retained the aya and just started at #1 on this list. It was just that I had forgotten that I was in charge. Remember, I was the one who had unleashed the beast. The beast had taken charge and was ruling my life. I now need to show him that I am the benevolent dictator [to some degree at least for awhile until he can be trusted to live within the house rules], who can be trusted and will love him no matter what).

  8. Love on him a lot every chance I get.

Okay, there are my rules for myself. Would you like to add more? How do you deal, or have you dealt, with troubling toddlers?

16 comments:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Ha Ha! Pretty bad for me to be the first commenter on my own post, but after I got done with this post and got hunting for a photo, I can't believe how perfect this photo is for this post! I haven't even ever looked twice at this photo as it's sat in my folder. Just thought I'd share. Funny.

Annette Piper said...

Oh dear... sounds like you've got your hands full there! I've also learned the hard way not to give in, even if you really feel the need to do so for your sanity LOL.

Patty B. said...

Off to a really good start, just keep going. Love your rules, hope they work for you! I'm the softie, giving in, getting strick; giving in, getting strick. Our first set of kids somehow turned out okay. One of these days, I'll get it right. If I visit often, maybe I can learn something new from you!

Krissy said...

AH! Binky madness!!! My 3 year old STILL sneaks away her brother's binkies constantly. It's an ongoing battle. ugh. Thanks for finding my blog! I love new readers! lol :D I am a follower of yours now and I'll be adding you to my google reader! LOL :D

Alyson said...

That was a successful episode in every way I can imagine. I am not so good with letting them do everything they are able to.

I should give my child only the choices that I can live with.

Oh, that's like a goldmine. Something every parent (including me!) needs to learn.

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Julie- I want to hear how you deal with eating. I am getting so frustrated with my kids not eating what I preprae. Mind you I do not make them somthing different(usually), but I am honestly afraid that I will be turned in for neglect because my kids simply are not eating what I serve(except tacos and pizza and hot dogs- I can't eat those once a week). Time outs and rewards of sweets doesn't feel right when dealing with all the eating stuff(I don't want my kids to need WW one day).

I love your rules. I think I will print these out and read them every day to remind myself. The one I completely love(besides 8 of course) is 5- too often parents yell or lecture, but not often enough we get down and do and teach. When we simply use our voice I feel we are in a way teaching our kids to ignore us-somthing I can not handle. I only get angry when someone isn't listen and tend to talk louder and louder until I am yelling- yuck.

I want to comment on 8 too- I find myself falling into the trap of letting go because its easier, but its not easier after they know they can and do eventually get what they want, making rule 1 void.

You are a good mom. Thansk for sharing.

Shauna said...

What a CUTE picture :) ♥ Hugs!

Jen said...

Darling picture! And I was directed to your blog from Shauna at Trying 2 Stay Calm! You seem like a fun lady to follow so I put myself on the list ;0). Hey, our daughter told her daughter that the binky fairy would be taking her binky when she turned 3 and she was very accepting of that and has been great ever since! Who'd a thunk? Love your blog (and music).

Jen said...

BTW, I'm missing Merianne and heard you knew how to get a hold of her? Would you let her know I miss her and her blog!

The Garver Family said...

Your efforts will not go unnoticed. At some point in his life, in all your children's lives, there will be a point where they will appreciate you more than they'll ever tell you...or maybe they will tell you. Right now, however, you just have to remember that. The rules you have for yourself are great and they will certainly help me, too. You're the epitome of goodness.

Messy Jess said...

Very Intelligent. There's a lot of wisdom in your rules. I think I may be hanging out here more often.

MERRIANNE said...

oh my gosh! i don't know whether to laugh or cry for you Julie!!!!

♥Merrianne

Dianna said...

Thanks for the great ideas; I'm learning a lot with my two-year-old as a first-time mom and I do think I need to take a bit more control.

Tonya said...

I love your list of rules. I always think of the song "I am a child of God" when I am having a hard time with my kiddos. "Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way". Those words just put things into perspective for me and help me to take control again, but in a loving way, just like you said.

Rory Baxter said...

WOW! You are amazing to come up with such an ideal list.
As you know I am also the mother of a 2 yr old - we have those days we battle and other days we soar.
He is an angel and a terror all wrapped in one.
My big thing with him is to just be consistent with the rules - no matter where we are (home, school, outing, etc)
The other thing I am learning - with all the kids - is to pick my battles. I am working harder to learn when to "put my foot down" and when it is ok to just let something go.
I am also learning to find the teachig moments in everything I do - no matter where we are. It has provided some pretty amazing experiences for me and the kids.
Ky has been my most challenging 2 yr old - I think he has outdone all the other kids in fun and destruction mode. He constantly keeps me on my toes - and yet he is constantly learning and growing through my being consistent and taking time with him. It amazes me to listen to him learn new words or watch him share or realize he has learned a new skill just by watching his siblings (not always the best skills - we are working on it).
I think raising kiddos, esp 2 year olds, is the best and worst job ever. I wouldnt trade it for anything in the world!

vaxhacker said...

I love your rules! And everything you said about consistency and not caving in is so so so so so so so so so so so very important. I know this because I suck at it so badly, and kick myself every time I do it. But as I even pointed out to K last night when having to bring Awful Consequences of Doom upon him, if he can learn from the simple ones (like in this case losing the use of his Nintendo DS for a while—oh, the humanity! oh, the horror!), maybe, just maybe, he'll have learned to avoid the Really, Truly Scary Consequences that come in the Real World.

[Stop typing with Gratuitous Capital Letters, Steve... ahem.]

Yes, anyway.

I also have fought the Binky Monster before. It was pretty bad with K when he was younger. Oh, there were cute moments, like having to find a white binky for him to use when we took him to the temple to be sealed to us (not that finding unusual temple accessories was new to us... during this period I would have to make sure I had a white scrunchy thing when going to the temple to hold my ponytail).

But we realized at one point that he was just not letting go of it. So we decided that when you hit I certain birthday (I think it was when he turned 3, but it might have been 4), the Binky Fairy comes and takes all the binkies in the house, and leaves you a gift. (S)he did, and he was overjoyed by the present, and never looked back.

I'm not sure how we got away with that, but somehow it worked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...