Monday, March 21, 2011

The Evolution of Why I Blog

Eons ago, shortly after I started blogging, I did a little post on why I blog.  When I was done with it, I remember how lame I thought it was.

As time has passed, and I've had many, many experiences with this blogging thing--good and bad, I've realized that my reasons for blogging have changed.

When I took part in the 30-day blog challenge, it occurred to me the real reason I do this.  As I would go kiss my parents goodnight, when I was a child, I remember numerous nights that I would find my mom sitting writing in a journal.  I remember wanting to know what she was writing.  I never asked; I knew it was too personal.  After she passed away, my dad would ask me which of her things I wanted.  I told him it was her journals and pictures that I wanted.  I have many of her photos now in my possession, but her journals have eluded me.

As I did the 30-day challenge, I realized that I had in some more modern way, become like my mom.  As my kids come to kiss me goodnight, sometimes they catch me blogging; writing down things that are on my mind.

I don't want my kids to ever wonder where they can find me and my thoughts as they were growing up.  I want them to be able to turn and find my personality for that's what I want from my mom now.

Last night, I had a rather serious discussion with the Warden.  I faced some facts about why I love blogging and facebook so much.  You know what it is?  It's the instant feedback.  I love it when I can carry on a conversation with someone and know their feelings.  I love it when people make me laugh by the funny things they say.  I appreciate that there are so many others that go through the things I do on a regular basis.  I honestly just adore the fact that I can interact with others so regularly and frequently.

I have set a goal for myself that any time I go to someone else's blog, I will post a comment about something.  It's made such a big difference.  I always go to the blogs listed on my sidebar when I see they've updated, and a few times a week, I go to this site and read other LDS women's blogs.  It has been from this site that I've made some of my dearest blogging friends.  I'm finding that everyone has something to offer.


Here are a few things from today:

I found this blog:

http://howtobesuperwoman.blogspot.com/
  She's participating in a "Woman of Noble Character Challenge" each week.  I'd love to do this.  She got it here.

I also received a "Parents" magazine today.  I was a bit surprised, but then I realized that I paid a few cents for the subscription.  I had forgotten ordering it.  It said some wonderful things.  One was that you should use your time with your family as sacred and nothing should get in the way of spending time with your family--when the husband and kids are around, your time is there's.  I appreciated this little reminder.  I'm working on that.

12 comments:

Katy B. said...

My Mom kept a journal too. And like you, that is why I blog....for my kids. You are doing a great job. Can' wait to see what you write next! :)

Julia Shinkle said...

I love reading your blog and I also need to set a goal of commenting more....because I know I love the commments on mine...thanks for showing me the love on my blog. : )

Alida B. said...

I used to be really great at scrapbooking and journaling...then I had my 3rd baby, whose middle name should've been DESTRUCTION, and those hobbies went to the wayside. Now 6 kids and counting, I've decided I'll probably never go back to those things BUT blogging is one way I can keep down all those little memories for later...safe from Destructo. ;)

I love that you always leave comments because I LOVE comments. I think I'm gonna make myself a goal of commenting more, too. You've inspired me.

Crazymamaof6 said...

Love that you posted this today. I love the feedback too, and the feeling of validation that i'm not alone and other moms feel the same way. Plus it's fun and social without having to get dressed or leave home. Toddlers only offer so much conversationwise.


I think It's so fun to look back at the journally posts and see where we were at just a few weeks ago or years ago.

I've been loving your comments and feel super cool to be included on your sidebar.

LeAnn said...

I loved reading your post today. I feel just like you about blogging. I have enjoyed making new friends and writing about various things that go on in my life.
I too need a reminder to not let blogging take over all my time.
Thanks for sharing and blessings to you. I am going to look in onthe blogs you suggested.
LeAnn

Unknown said...

I was very touched by this post. I have been going through somewhat of a transition in my blogging.

Over the years I have often wondered about my mother feelings, emotions, and thoughts when she was younger. Having two boys of my own, I want them to know also the what, why, how, etc. of my life. What a wonderful gift to give them.

I look forward to following your blog, and learning much from you.

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

I like you going on other blogs and commenting(Like mine!)- but this is good-- I think we facebook conversations its been easy to stop commenting on blogs.

I am a journaler-- I write all the time-- and my blog has taken the place many times of my journal entries, which is fine, except its not nearly as personal(maybe as dark) as my hand written journals that are almost always written in bed before I fall asleep and I am needing to get the last of the thoughts out of my head. I still have both- my kids will have go back and forth one day if they dare read them both!

I love you Julie- you are an amazing example in just about every area of life. Thanks for being you.

vaxhacker said...

I love the commitment to leave a comment on every blog you visit. You know I feel the same way about blogging (as I've used this pretty much for my personal/family journal), and love the comments--even whole conversations--that friends have contributed along the way. I hope FaceBook doesn't completely erode this medium for keeping in touch. It's far more interesting and informative when our interaction isn't just 140 characters at a time, or sed in ur l33t shrt hnd txt. yo.

I tried to encourage my teenager to start blogging his life as well, but so far that hasn't exactly been his forte. Since my blog is my journal, I'm printing it out into book form so I have something my kids can look back on some day and see their childhood and their dad through older eyes, and recapture a lot of their own childhood memories (at least as I saw them).

And thanks for your comments in my blog, too! It's nice to see how my friends think about all the different things we write about.

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog! We are family and yet have never met face to face. It makes me feel like I've known you and the family for a long time now. And It has made me realize that I don't have to meet someone face to face to care about them. I love you, the warden and all of the inmates!And one of these days, hopefully sooner than later, we will meet face to face :)

Hesses Madhouse said...

Alida - All I can say is "Ahh. #3." I can so relate to you! Your comment made me laugh. So glad I can laugh about it now. There was a time when I really couldn't.

CrazyMama - I read your blog frequently. It has to be on my sidebar. It's all that parallel lives thing. You validate me. Thank you!

Megan - I am terrible at writing in a paper journal any more. There are lots of things I don't write about (the darker things) that after the fact, I'm glad I haven't written them. But, then again, they are real parts of life, so maybe I should give in and start writing them down.

Katy, Alida, LeAnn and Lynda - Thank you for commenting. I'm looking forward to reading more from each of you!

Jenn - I'm so looking forward to meeting you face to face! It's been fun to talk over the phone the few times that we have. Thanks for your sweet comment!

Julia - You know I think you're amazing!

Vax - Your little "conversation" starter on facebook got me thinking about this whole commenting thing. I knew I couldn't change what the rest of the world was doing, but I knew that as for me, I could make a more concerted effort. It's been super fun. I read others' writings not just to read but to truly understand, so I can find something positive to say in response.

Corinne Ritz said...

I agree! I love getting comments on my blog, and I LOVE reading your blog as well. I love what blogging and facebook have done as far as the support I get from other mothers. I am here all alone with loads of kids, but I know that all my friends out there know what I'm doing and will lend their support through their comments. It helps to lift me up!

Holly Schwendiman said...

Now you've gone and re-inspired me all over again to do more! :) Connecting with great people is a such a wonderful boost no?

Hugs,
Holly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...