Friday, March 11, 2011

Praying for Japan

Like the rest of the world, I was shocked to hear of the earthquake in Japan that took place last evening.  I've been searching news reports and found this one.  It showed people and just what precautions were being taken. 



This was my mission area.  I've, thankfully, been able to touch base with a couple of my friends through facebook.  Most of the area, at this point, is without power.  It is now Friday night there, so people are heading off to bed.  Hoping to hear more tonight.

I remember my first earthquake there, I was living with three Japanese sisters.  We had just moved to a new apartment on the fourth floor.  As I recall, we were, prior to that, living in a ground floor apartment, which was not okay.  Now I see why.  So, we had to move.

The first night in our apartment, I dreamt that I was in the top of a tree and the wind was blowing really hard.  When I woke, I realized that the apartment was slightly swaying and there was a whooshing sound all around us.

The Japanese sisters slept, so I woke them.  I learned a whole lot of new vocabulary that night.

They were not concerned at all.  This was part of their existence.  I asked them if it was a "jishin."  They responded that it was, but it wasn't a big deal, just go back to sleep.  I then inquired, "What if it was a big one?  What would we do?"  They told me that we'd turn off the gas and go stand in a doorway.

They went back to sleep.  I laid there until the rocking stopped and went back to sleep.

The epicenter was in Morioka.  I believe it was a 5 point something quake.

So hoping and praying that all will be well soon.

5 comments:

Julia Shinkle said...

It is so scary. We have friends who live there because of all the international students that have lived with us.

Alyson said...

Praying too. Wishing I had kept in better contact. :/

vaxhacker said...

My prayers go out to those hit by this disaster as well. I can only imagine how I'd feel looking at the streets I walked, the people I knew, over on Taiwan which is itself uncomfortably close by.

I'm glad Japan was as prepared to respond to this as they were, so the loss of life was not as very, very, very much worse as it could easily have been, but the lives lost are horrible enough as they are, and the damage done that people will spend so long rebuilding is just hard to imagine going through.

Unknown said...

Wow, I love your blog! I love the Inmates thing. You are super cute! Love your post..

Handsfullmom said...

I imagine your thoughts are even more sad than mine at this tragedy. Funny how your Japanese companions didn't see tremors as a big deal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...